CPR viper...nervous for first ride

silveradocountry

Last march i bought a 02 viper (brand new) rode it...felt it needed a little more after 182 mi. Went to jeff's and bought pipes. i got them ceramic coated, intalled a srx heat exchanger, Avenger III egt gauge (with jeffs egt probe location ,his heavy hitter set up and used jeff's jet specs. after hearing about what people have been saying on this website, it sound like piping your viper may lead to trouble. However I am fairly noligable when it comes to stock race sleds. i have not rode my sled with the pipes yet. Is jeff's set up reliable. Will it be oaky riding on glare ice being heavily studed? Im just a little leary on how often i have to be watching the avenger. Should i be able to ride with confidence?

Last edited:

Those pipes if jetted correctly are very reliable. I put a bunch of miles on my last viper and had no trouble without a rear cooler. I did a lot of drag racing. Just use your head with them and you will be fine. I put some water wetter in the coolant ran good gas and oil and made sure she got plenty of snow lube. I beat that motor pretty good without seeing a heat light once. I rode that thing like a stock sled. Is your screen name a reference to the truck?

MUFDVR said:
Those pipes if jetted correctly are very reliable. I put a bunch of miles on my last viper and had no trouble without a rear cooler. I did a lot of drag racing. Just use your head with them and you will be fine. I put some water wetter in the coolant ran good gas and oil and made sure she got plenty of snow lube. I beat that motor pretty good without seeing a heat light once. I rode that thing like a stock sled. Is your screen name a reference to the truck?

yes it is

take it to the lake and tape it.....watch your EGTs..:), if you dont have any other mods and you followed his directions and jetting it will be fine ;)!

I blew mine last year,but I didn't have EGT's. Being you have them you'll be fine. I had a 20 degree temp drop and was doing some drag racing and popped it at WOT. If I would have seen the temps, it would have never happened. My fault!!

good luck!!

I rode mine at -40F temp last yr, but did not go WOT and it was fine. At -20F I went on a 24 mile river run and at WOT the DCS came on and I would back off and pump the gas and things were fine.

I started with Jeffs specs on mine and actually leaned out the mid slightly from there but I also run a Racepac so I could follow things very closley. I am also running Megapower heads with 2 .010 Cometic Head gaskets to assure that I have no heat related issues.

1300 trouble free miles so far :WayCool:

Just put heat tape inside the hood whereever its close. I have a spot where the pipe touched the heat tape and it just flattened it out a bit. No big deal.

silveradocountry said:
anyone ever melt there hood due to pipe, hood clearance?
Some guys will remove the lower portion of the foam on the Vipers, but I simply covered mine with heat tape and have had no issues, not even a mark from the CPR's.

Back