viper plugs..what to do?

JJVIPER

k guys...i talked with my dealer today and he said i should run br9ecs in my piped viper. he said it will be better...has anyone ever heard that.. i dont mind spending the money for the plugs....but are they alright...i dont want to hurt the machine....

if i were you i would run the ecs, i'll give you a description as to why. a stock srx has a wider squish band in the combustion area, than the viper and it uses premium fuel and ecs plugs. i think yamaha truely goofed to not run the ecs in the viper. the tolerences are tighter on all 3 cylinders on the viper, and the head doesnt have nearly the cooling capacity as the srx, but you are supposed to be able to run 87 octane gas and br9es plugs in the viper. now adding pipes to the mix... the heads will run a little hotter unless having a set of billet heads or jeff simons cpr head mod done. i think some of the burn down issues were detonation related due to tight squish, pipes, non premium fuel and non ecs plugs. it is just good insurance as the plugs disapate heat better. now for the big thing that alot of guys may or may not know or agree with. there are 2 (count them) two pregapped versions of the ecs plug unbenounced to the yamaha world, ngk tells us not to ever gap a ecs plugs due to possible electrode failure from fatigue. with this being said you can get the screw top ecs plug (stock number 3570) in .028-.031 gap or .8 mm whichever you prefer. the solid top pre gapped to .028-.031 are stock number (4677) but are only available at a bombardier dealer under pn 415128524. they are used for the new sdi 600's. now there are solid top ecs with a stock number of 6669, that are the tight gapped .018-.021 (.5mm) and should not be gapped. just want you to have all the info you can to make a good decision. i am running slp pipes, megapower heads, with two cometic .010 head gaskets, solid top ecs with proper gap (doo part number) and premium fuel, 91 octane or better for my new viper project sled. i am also running holtzmans tempa flow too. ski

Last edited:
so the ecs will disapate the heat better....i dont have the heads done..i only have the hauck kit..triple pipes,clutch kit,and the super cool head gasket,and jetted as to their spec.
if the ecs plugs are better..and wont hurt it...i will run them...
skidooboy...how do you like the mega power heads?? what do you have for a clutch and secondary set up?
thats another head scratcher....how to hook up...

I disagree

I personally run BR9EYA from NGK in my viper 800cc race engines I have had alot better luck with them. they dont miss a beat. the BR9ECS don't have the electrode sticking out as far and its my theory that the flash will take longer because its going only one direction, out, rather than the EYA that is out further in the squish and has a faster flash which to me I would rather have less timing advance with a faster flash than the opposite therfore creating less heat from pressure. However it is true the ECS plugs at the same timing will run cooler but its a bandade fix not the correct one if you have the resources. ;)!

Here's a different plug to throw in the mix: I ran the NGK Iridium BR9EIX last yr on a 02 crp piped viper all last season. While in Ontario we had last yr it was -40F the 1st morning and ran fine. I spoke w/ an NGK application guy and asked him if it ran hotter than the stock br9es and he said no so I was sold.

I was thinking about getting a set of the iridiums. Did you find they were worth the money ? They are not cheap.

A couple of months ago doing some friendly grass drags with my fairly stock 02 viper i fouled the pto side plug twice(never fouled a plug on my viper before)anyways Keith from woody's performance was testing a couple of sleds there and he said try a doo ecs from my friend who was there. Long story short stopped fouling a plug and that cylinder ran cooler than it ever has. The pto cylinder always ran a little hotter. I am also jetted to 152.5's across the board. this may not make any sense but running that one ecs plug in the pto side it now burns conistant cardboard color like the other two have always been. so now i just bought a set of the ecs;s from the local skidoo dealer to either try all three or keep running just one on the hot side.

BR9ES Solid Top

Have SLP's, CPR head mod, Opticool, and rear exchanger. No problems at all down to -20 and that is freaking cold riding dude.

Skidooboy on A Viper whats up with that! Read your post on ECS. I recently purchased two boxes of ECS smaller gap .018-.021 . After reading your post I think I have the wrong plugs. What will be the result of running smaller than the recommended gap. Cooler I hope. I'm running the simons 780.

i got seniority so i get to keep my name. LOL! :) your better off running the proper gap. take your plugs to www.dootalk.com the ecs with the smaller gap are used on the 600 ho motors. if you put them at a fair price they will walk, then you can order the proper plugs. no substitute for the proper parts. ski

Back