The Z engine, is it the future ?

Ike

A finnish company called Aumet OY has made experimental new engine. It works ( saw it on TV last evening ). They have made a new engine configuration , the Z . It has the benifits of an 2-stroke light weight and rpm capabilities, but the efficiency of an 4-stroke. It´s hard explain, but check it out from www.aumet.fi

This is from their website :

"The Work Cycle of the Z engine

The Z process combines the best parts from 4-stoke and 2-stroke processes. The Z engine cylinder produces work on every crankshaft rotation like 2-stroke-engines. However, the exhaust cycle is almost similar to 4-stroke process. The Z engine also has no scavenging ports in the cylinder liner. "

OLD technology. Detroit Diesel has done it similar for years. I would like to see a gas engine on this design though. You could build 2 stroke with a crank case like a 4 stroke (where you put oil into and have to change it) and run a cam shaft with Exhaust valves and just have intake ports on the cylinders. To get possitive pressure you would also need to run a positive displacement supercharger (turbo will NOT work) to feed the cylinders. That is how a detroit diesel works and I've always wondered why noone built a 2 stroke gas engine like that, it would burn pretty clean (no oil in the exhaust) and be easy to crank up the HP just by changing the supercharger drive ratio.

can you imagine the valve train necessary to spin at crank speed unlike a four stroke at half crank speed? Yikes!!!

A company called Shindiawa makes a cross between a four stroke and a two stroke. They use 'em in their weed wackers but the technology clearly works. I was lucky enough to see one in action. Sure enough, motor oil in the crankcase and 50:1 mix in the gas. Start 'er up and its all two stroke. Slick.

Back