On the Trail and running to lean - what can you do?

blueice

I have moved into a mod Viper with tripple pipes and have heard some stories that sounds like I need to be a bit more careful about running to lean. I have not had any experience in doing carb tweeks. From the looks of it they are not easy to get at, especially on the trail.

What would you do to richin things up a bit so you could continue to ride the rest of the day without melting things down.

I have a 02 Viper with the following engine setup: Bender triple pipes, V-Force Reeds & Spacers, Bender Optic-cool head gasket and a rear cooler. No add-on gauges yet - runnin blind on temp.

Thanks for your tips.

Forgot to mention on the original post: I also installed the recommended 165 main jets and 52.5 pilot jets.

modded viper

This may seem abvious, but "blipping" the throttle frequently especially during high speed runs does help. A friend of mine with the temp gaugues could see the exhaust temp.s come down when doing this. It adds a little saftey measure.
I would also recommend not fooling around with your fuel. Always run the premium, add some isopropyl-alchol and octane booster at each fill up. This may seem like a little over kill, but its good for peace of mind.

Perhaps changing to a colder running spark plug could also help if in a jam but I'll let someone else chime in on this topic.

Mark

personally I wouldn't be running so close to the edge... they run REAL nice lean, but only for a very short while... Can you not richen up and use a VariFlow?

TJ..

Turning on the carb heat helps if you are lean. The warmer fuel is like going up 1 jet size allmost.

TJ500 said:
personally I wouldn't be running so close to the edge... they run REAL nice lean, but only for a very short while... Can you not richen up and use a VariFlow?

TJ..

I am novice "but a quick learner". What is a VariFlow? Thankyou

My buddies will get a kick out of this one! Someone on another post mentioned to throw a pair of panti hose over the air box to restrict air flow to the carbs.

I don't think I would ever hear the end of that trick if that had to be done on the trail.

B.T.W - These were the same guys that were playing rock paper sizzors for their turn in peeing my Viper fuel pump to get it unthawed when we were 40 miles from the nearest bar.

B.T.W - These were the same guys that were playing rock paper sizzors for their turn in peeing my Viper fuel pump to get it unthawed when we were 40 miles from the nearest bar.[/QUOTE]

lmfao-that is to funny-Harvey

LMAO on that. I can see that happening. We damn near did the same thing when the Polaris in our group smoked a cylinder and it was -15 Deg F clear as a bell and 20 miles to the nearest bar. Darn was he cold after that haul back. Rock paper scissors !!! Thats thinking !!!!! :rocks:

hi i have a sxviper i have heavy hitter with slp tripple looking for a good clutch set up. and are the heavy hitter good for this pipes. thanks!

I have run the bender pipes since the second ride on my 02 viper and have had no problems , if you have no head work done , you might want to run 167.5 in the hot cyl,also you should have a hole cut in the top of the air box , you can put allitle duct tape over one edge and restrict air flow , (but i wouldnt) bender has a new bullitan that says if you are using low grade fuel run 167.5 all the way across , i did that and it was not as crisp and sucked the gas down , but you could hold it to the bar all day and not worry ,,,i would run the 167.5 on the mag side maybe raie the needels by a washer maybe even two washers and call it good ...

Back