'02 zr 800 feedback

SWEDE

Hey guys, a buddy of mine who is a cat guy is looking to buy the sled listed above.Its in mint shape carbed not efi,new ripsaw track studded with 6400 miles on it.Any of you guys have this machine our ride with someone who does?Do they have powervalve issues at time like the viper and srx's can?Just looking for some general info on this vintage machine and whats it worth?

i ride with a friend that has one,efi version though. real nice sled actually. never any problems with the p valves or anything for that matter. i've never cared for arctic cats but my friends zr800efi is actually a pretty sweet sled. goes like a raped ape too.

My neighbor has an 02 Zr 900 that is carb'd. He had a problem with the carb floats. They would stick and over fill the carbs. He had fuel all over his garage. The other problem he had was the rear axle bearing went taking out all the plastic parts in the axle. He's put in $400 in parts in three years. That not too bad at all. The sled is fast and has a nice ride. But its still geen.

SWEDE said:
Hey guys, a buddy of mine who is a cat guy is looking to buy the sled listed above.Its in mint shape carbed not efi,new ripsaw track studded with 6400 miles on it.Any of you guys have this machine our ride with someone who does?Do they have powervalve issues at time like the viper and srx's can?Just looking for some general info on this vintage machine and whats it worth?

My neighbor had one that he piped and added a few other cosmetic bolt ons. Ran real strong but I couldn't ride more than 20 minutes before my arms started to fall asleep. The NVH was terrible. He didn't think it was so bad until he got off my machine (we swapped for the 20 minutes).

Not sure if it was just his sled. I know those big twins are notorious for NVH issues... I couldn't ride it. Otherwise it was a good ditch banger and for an 800 it was real good in the tight twistys. I'd guess a lot of those loyal cat guys overlook/put up with the shaking since it does pull like a freight train.

My good riding bud has one. He just had a powervalve cable brake at 4200 miles. He also uses about twice the fuel I do in my nytro. Ride & handling is good. After 5k miles the cranks tend to snap in 1/2 on the big suzuki twins.

Any cat uses cheap things like bearings in their skids and elsewhere. I don't know any other reason that all my friends that own cats end up replacing bearings because the old ones are shot at such a premature age/ mileage.

Believe it or not, but in the 4000+ miles on my xcsp, I have had to change only 2 skid bearings for wheels. Those 2 bearings were not even bad, but they were not perfect like all the rest.

I will have the skid out this summer/ fall, and do a re check when I upgrade my rear suspension shocks or swap the whole skid to my venture.

my friend has an 01 zr800 carbed, ony prob he had so far was the carb slides cracked and the edges broke off causing it to run lean and burn down. probably from all the vibration

Back