Thinning the head gasket

A few member's have said that on here, but honestly I know a few people around here with twins and everyone of them are between 8500km and 15000km and I am the first one to have a problem?????

Considering i only took out a piston and cyl this is definitely a cheap fix for a sled with 9000km on it.. ;)!

I see why everbody hates the twins !

Long time ago yami had issues with the twins, But they have fixed the ring/piston issue with updates, (If U want yours to last and run right do U're homework instead of just bitching and calling them junk, They don't like pipes so forget it, Just clutch it to perfection and I guarntee U and your riding buds will love it, No aftermarket reeds either, Just go with the head gasket it's no prob because most came from the factory too safe on piston to head clearance, Like over 110 thousants, I dare U to take (Any) Good running 2 stroke by any make and change the piston to head clearance to 110 or so, It will be a dog I don't care, Need to get a superceded oil pump on these too, I'm forced to ride one but it ain't so bad a 97 600 (If) set up perfect might be the lightest and nimblest unit of all time, As far as them eating clutches I think if they were or are clutched correctly to begin with it will make this issue minamize if not be non exsistant, I know it's a twin but they were not clutched right to begin with so I digress, Yamaha screwed them for warranty longevity reasons to begin the new gen of Yam with (IFS trailing arm) obviously before they were ready (I am and will be confused), Therefor the later needed updates, I have led at very fast speeds 90+ that I don't recommend with a rx 1 and a 08 nytro and my sled holds it's own, Til we get in real wide open areas then the rx 1 ton does show it's worth but so FFen what junk. Added note as far as skirt slap or breakage I and U should make sure and keep good compression on these motors just to keep the nay sayers at bay, On my brand new motor with .06 gasket I have 125 (Even) PSI, Look to have that, If U don't somethings wrong, When mime gets down to 115 and less I will re ring it no matter what.

Last edited:
l have peeled the head gaskets on my 1993 vmax4 750, 1996 Vmax600 MM and my 1996 Vmax4 800MM.

lt is without a doubt the best bang for the buck upgrade, the difference is noticeable. like replacing tired reeds with boyesens noticeable.

l do run 94oct in all my sleds and the vmax4 750, is a 'little' modified.

FuzzButt said:
I'd do it again in a heart beat. At least take one layer out. Keep the money in your pocket on the v-force reeds.

Mechanic? Who needs those? Get a Yamaha service manual for it and grab a set of metric wrenches.
how many layers in a stock 97 v max xtc 600 twin head gasket

I did the 1 layer gasket trick on my SXR 600 years back and it held up.But when I built my motor last year and went the same way..the single layer wouldn't hold and had antifreeze dropping down the cylinders/.I guess a new rebuild has to much renewed compression that the single layer gasket cannot handle.SO I had to go spend well over $100 for new OEM gaskets..won't do that single layer deal ever again/

:dunno: On my 96 600 the gasket had 3 layer's I took one out,when I did it I also re-ringed and put new piston's in even tho it probably did'nt need it.
Went from 120 psi to 145 psi,no problem's in the 2500 mile's since, I alway's try to run non oxy premium but it's not alway's available.

Mitchell49601 said:
I put the .06 gasket on mine and it does make a huge difference, I've held mine WOT for more than a minute several times just ripping during riding with buds, What more do U want, Yes I do put 92 or higher in when I refuel but I'm not sure I even need it, I checked my piston to head clearance and it's 73 thousants even with .06 gasket I talked to Pat Hauke about it and he seemed to think that 65 to 70 thousants is the cut off point for reliabilty on any two stroke, Unless U run airplane fuel, I'm 3 over and safe, Just call Pat he's done right by me so by the cut of for being reliable 65 70 thou , you mean if i go less the compression will get to high or no less than 65 70 for a quench area

sick srx said:
Mitchell49601 said:
I put the .06 gasket on mine and it does make a huge difference, I've held mine WOT for more than a minute several times just ripping during riding with buds, What more do U want, Yes I do put 92 or higher in when I refuel but I'm not sure I even need it, I checked my piston to head clearance and it's 73 thousants even with .06 gasket I talked to Pat Hauke about it and he seemed to think that 65 to 70 thousants is the cut off point for reliabilty on any two stroke, Unless U run airplane fuel, I'm 3 over and safe, Just call Pat he's done right by me so by the cut of for being reliable 65 70 thou , you mean if i go less the compression will get to high or no less than 65 70 for a quench area

so i didnt mean to post same thing twice , and my question is put in with the rest of paragraph . so here it is again , so by the cut of for being reliable being 65 70 thou any less and compression will get to high ? or no less then 65 70 thou for a quench area

so how would i go about finding how man thou i have . would using a pc of solider across the piston pin and then rotate , the mic the lead at the very end to see how many thou i have

I have a 94 vmax 600 and am running with just one layer on the head gasket,running 94 octane,played with the clutch a bit and twin gyt pipes and let me tell you this thing has some balls now

Back