GPS Maps of snowmobile trails?

DanQ

I just got a Garmin IQue 3600 GPS and was thinking of taking it snowmobiling. where do others who use GPSs gt their maps?

I can load detailed road maps and i just bought topo maps for the area, but short of tracking my own progress on the trails, I'm not sure how much use this will be.

I can see where it would be useful to find the nearest road in case of a break down.

How do you use your GPS?
Thanks

True speed, top speed, actual milage, altitude, etc.

My unit doesnt have a map on it, but I download my tracks onto my laptop and place them on topo maps...kinda neat to look at and see where you actually rode.

i have a garmin legend.mine has mapping on it and yours should to i would think. you'll need to look at it to see if it'll leave tracks. i use it to mark off trail snow bowls, main and unmarked trails, bars, whatever where ever. kinda just started off trailin last year so i'm markin all the cool stuff i haven't been to before and not sure if i'll remember. i could try to send you some of what i still have from last year from around munising, mich and i think some of grayling, mich might still be there.

If you guys are riding in Grayling Michigan, you might try the AuSable Valley Snowmobile Association here: http://www.gosledgrayling.org/
They used GPS to map their trails a couple of years ago and one of the groomer drivers I talked to last year said that they were probably going to make the GPS maps available to the public, but I haven't heard if they did or not.
Shark

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into it some more. not sure how to down load the munising stuff but that would be intersting 700scott. I know I'll be in that area this winter. I'll send you an Pm with my email address.

Thanks

I've been using a Garmin GPS12 for about 4 years now. This doesn't have maps but does store waypoints and tracks. I save the tracks/waypoints on my computer and can print them out onto topo maps. The software I use also allows me to modify the tracks and I can then load them back into the GPS. As you ride more places,, the tracks can be expanded to match the trail maps you can buy. That's how those maps are made.

I won't ride here (Alaska) without a GPS.

I just got my gps, Magellan Meridian Gold. (Sweet deal, Cabelas's price-matched Wal-Mart at 199.83 plus then I had a $20 coupon.) I should have used basspro or gander mountain cause they have a double the difference...If someone wants to know what wal-mart had it, let me know...

Anyhow, I was wondering the same thing if I could load any map into my gps and where I could get the maps without doing a track myself.

DanQ said:
Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into it some more. not sure how to down load the munising stuff but that would be intersting 700scott. I know I'll be in that area this winter. I'll send you an Pm with my email address.

Thanks

I SENT IT TO YOU , BUT I'M NOT EVEN SURE YOU HAVE THE PC ADAPTER TO DOWN LOAD IT. SO HOW'D IT GO?

I use mine all the time on my sled. Get 1 with a large display, maybe even coloured, if you can afford it. I have mine set with the display always showing the heading in degrees, and the speed. When I'm trying to get to a spicific way-point or spot on the map, then I will change it to mapping. I try to ride in new areas a couple times a year and the GPS has helped keep track ware I am at. :rocks:

Back