lost my key, what to do?

Truckkid42

why is it that with every other sled i've owned or seen, if you loose the key, all you need to do is pull the ignition and unplug it and it will start right up? my 02 viper will not start at all after i pulled the ignition because i lost my key?

Should be a number on the switch, they can order you a new key for it........

Take you ignition switch and proof of ownership to any decent Yamaha dealer and they should be able to cut you a key in a few min for less than 7$

Ya, you can get a new key cut or ordered. There is a place around here that cuts keys, the guy is not even a dealer. You just take him the ignition and ownership papers and you come back within a couple hours and he will have your key(s) cut....

i always hide the spare key for everything in my drawer. they are all on the same ring and when i loose a key, i haul them out and go get a copy made, then put them away right after the copy works.

I tie wrap a spare key in an inconspicuous place under the hood. I figure the spare key at home aint much good if you loose the key when out on a trip.

JeepJimmy said:
can you order a key online. i have no local dealers around me. i only have one key. would the numbers on the key mean anything?

Yea but their going to get you for about 20 bucks for 1 key. Any good locksmith/key place will cut you one. Cost me $2 a key at the local key place here. Just check the phone book, im sure you have one around. CCC

yeah I think I need to get a spare to. Last year was up in cooke city and didnt know I had my SRX key in my pocket. Well was out riding all day got back to town realized pocket was open and full of snow so was cleaning out all the snow then right after I threw some in the trash I saw a key go with it but couldnt see it in there and wasnt going to dig threw the trash to get it.

last time i tried to have a key cut, they said the keys were too small to cut, maybe i'll just have to find someone else who will do it.

I just went thru this lost key fiasco! We came back from vacation and couldn't locate the key for our viper. I went to a snowmobile salvage yard and matched up an ignition cylinder that matched my viper. I popped the back wiring harness out of the donor cylinder which came from an Excel. I popped my viper harness into the Excel cylinder and I was running again. This was after I spent a day and a half calling local Yamaha dealers and locksmiths on a Saturday! I guess locksmiths don't work Saturdays in West Michigan anymore!

i only have one key. would the numbers on the key mean anything?

I don't know about sleds, but with Yamaha motorcycles, a good locksmith can make you a key based on the numbers.

Can always cross the wires,,,,,,,,, no head light though at times.........

I tie wrap a spare key in an inconspicuous place under the hood. I figure the spare key at home aint much good if you loose the key when out on a trip.
That's what I do too. I've dropped mine in the deep snow once and never found it. Now, both the primary and my backup key have one of those foam floaties that goes on your boat key. That way if it is dropped in the snow, it doesn't disappear all the way to the bottom of h3ll.
Also use a clip to secure so cold fingers can remove somewhat easily.
image.jpg
image.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/141921593698
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/131747839558
Just don't make it a white one.

Last edited:

Back