Snowmobiling at or near Fort Drum New York??

tomseal6

VIP Member
hi guys. i just switched from the navy to the army a few months ago due to forced reductions and low quotas for promotion.

I will be at EOD school in a few weeks all summer fall and part of the winter. Upon graduation, I get a wish list of 3 places I want to go and fort drum NY is going to be one of them just wanted some info on riding around there and some people to possible go riding with. also a good place to rent a house with a nice garage convenient to go riding.

I am also going to put in for Fort Carson Colorado, and Fort Lewis Washington State.

Tom

i'm a little over an hour away from fort drum. your best bet would be to put them on a trailer and go south on interstate 81 to tug hill. adams, ny exit. i have no idea how the riding is right around fort drum

Well the good thing is Potsdam just got 15 inches 2 weeks ago. That's north of fort Drum. Fort Drum is in Watertown which is just north of tug hill. You have a short drive to Barnes Corners which has the best groomed trails on Tug hill. Winona state forest is also very close and awesome riding. ;)!

thanks guys,

So it looks like I will have to tow my sleds a little ways to go riding? was hoping to have easy access the trail system from a place around drum. towing sleds not a huge deal but like to leave from the house.

The trail systems any good in that area?

as far as i know there is no "trail system" around fort drum. alot of areas around here don't have trail systems. just locals breaking trail through fields and such. expecially where i am. though i'm only 15 mins. from potsdam and just south of that is a trail system.

stretchSXV said:
Well the good thing is Potsdam just got 15 inches 2 weeks ago. That's north of fort Drum. Fort Drum is in Watertown which is just north of tug hill. You have a short drive to Barnes Corners which has the best groomed trails on Tug hill. Winona state forest is also very close and awesome riding. ;)!
i don't know where you heard that pdam got 15 inches but i know for a fact that isn't true. just a dusting like everywhere else. you might be thinking of colton which is 15 min south of pdam. they got a foot.

TimeBomb said:
i don't know where you heard that pdam got 15 inches but i know for a fact that isn't true. just a dusting like everywhere else. you might be thinking of colton which is 15 min south of pdam. they got a foot.

One of my techs lives in Pdam and sent pics with the snow on the ground. I have them on my work puter and might be able to post them up. I'm just going off from what he told me. :o| :o| I go to fort drum once a week for work and there are locals breaking trails around there but not sure if they lead to actual trails. ;)!

if you live off base there is a trail just south of drum, i know on the map we were using and back at home looking on the computer I would say within 10 miles of the base, get on the 4 stroke side and look up Bigblackwarrior name is Gordon, he will know and by contacting him personally i am sure he could get you close to a trail, so your not trailering....good luck CP

thanks all for the information. I will let u all know where I end up at and will post as soon as I know. Will get in touch with him on the 4 stroke side. front door trail and down the street trail access has always worked the best for me

Back