Stock compression 02 SRX?

Harvey

what should it be,I am at around 115 across the board with 1600 miles on the motor.thanks-Harvey

No sir,my bad,does that make a difference?I checked my wifes 98 SRX 700 and that one red 90-95 across the board.thanks-Harvey

My 02 srx with 300 miles on it read 125 on all 3.I see other people say 130-135,but i think the gage im using just reads lower because the sled is mint and engine is like brand new.

Ya,I was wondering what was going on,I know gauges are off from one another,but thought mine was kind of low,especially with low milage,I am considering porting it and was going to re-ring it if need be but cant see needing to re-ring a 1600 mile sled,My buddies 98 sx700 was reading 135psi with the same gauge without the throttle open.He bought it used,must have the head mod done to it.I will check it again with a rubber band on the throttle.thanks-Harvey
one other question,should the motor be cold or hot when checking it?

It really doesn't matter on the temp of the engine when you do it, I did mine at room temp and I was reading 131 all acroos the board. The only thing you have to make sure is if you put new rings or something in it, you wont get an acurate reading until you have set the rings. It is best to break in the motor and then check

I really dont want to re-ring it,I am hoping the compression comes up when I check it the way you explained.thanks-Harvey

I am not suggesting you to re-ring it. I am just saying those are the only times whne your compression will not be acurate because your engine is not broken in yet when you put new rings on. If it is still to low when you have the throttle open, then I would suggest that you re-ring it. let me know of your new numbers when you do it with the throttle open.

I will post later tonight,I should probably have my brother in law bring his snap on tester home and compare it to my chraftsman.going out in the garage for a while.thanks-Harvey

Harvey
Differnt gauges will produce differnt readings,as long as the readings are within 10% of each other i think you will be ok. You said all three are at 115psi. I would wax it up and GRIP IT AND RIP IT!

checked a 98 srx-3000 miles-90lbs
00srx-5000 miles-100lbs
02srx-1600 miles-100lbs
98 srx with heads cut,thicker base gasket 2500miles-110lbs
think my gauge is junk,she is an old craftsman,my brother in law is going to bring me home his snap-on so we can re-check them.-Harvey

They cover ever tool ever made, so if they do the same with guages, you should be able to get a new one free as i doubt they have parts for on that old.

Ya,I will give it a try,I have had good luck exchanging hand tools when they broke,I have all craftsman and snap on tools.I thought only hand tools were lifetime warrenty,will have to try and see if they will replace it.worse they can say is no.-Harvey

Back