Viper - Power Valves

Canuck

I just cleaned my power valves, they had about 1200 km on them. I was running Yamalube 2-S and Ring Free. How do they compare to yours?

Attachments

• Dirty Valve 1S.JPG
    Dirty Valve 1S.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Dirty Valve 2S.JPG
    Dirty Valve 2S.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Clean Valve 1S.JPG
    Clean Valve 1S.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Clean Valve 2S.JPG
    Clean Valve 2S.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Mine looked similar with 1700miles and yamalube. No shiney rubs on them though. I didn't get mine that sparkl'n clean either. Nice job!

Fairly comparable to mine after about 1200 miles. I use Klotz, however. Hard to keep those things clean...I often use SeaFoam and that makes it so I don't have to clean them quite as often.

1. Wipe with a rag and carb cleaner.
2. Carefully scrape with a razor blade, new blade for each valve.
3. Scrub with a small ScotchBrite pad and carb cleaner.
4. Liberally spray off with carb cleaner.

I clean the valve pockets with a small piece of wooden dowel wrapped with a small piece of rag soaked in carb cleaner. I keep changing the rags until the pockets are clean. (make sure the piston is below the port)

Mine looked similar to yours also. I cleaned mine at around 1500mi and they are ready for another 1500 or so miles!

Mine look about the same after 3000 km using Amsoil 2000 raicing oil,this year im trying Interceptor and will see if it works like they say.I know that two of my buds used the regular amsoil on ther xcr 800 and mxz 800 and the valves were way cleaner then mine over the same distance

I just cleaned mine today. My 02 Viper ER has just over 5k miles and has only had Yamaha Lube and Amsoil Injector regular run through it. Mine weren't that bad on 1 & 2 but 3 was about the same. I was actually amazed they were not worse. Maybe the previous owner had them cleaned. My Power valve motor would alway jitter a bit when I would start it. With that gunk built up I guess I know why now.
Now I'm wondering if I should have checked the adjustments too.

Back