best power gain for the buck?

hookedonblue

Website
www.westernsnoriders.com
:yam: :yam: hey there guys, i have a 2002 srx as you know thats bone stock and i am interested in doing some mods to increase horsepower a little! if any one has any suggestions or know what is the best proven mod please let me know.
i was considering bender cannister but i hear its just an increase in noise not power. remember its a 2002 with DCS. so i should be pretty safe right? please let me know

HOOKEDONBLUE..............

Clutching and traction! Go to the tech pages and find a clutch setup, make sure your sled has plenty of studs or a 1.25 inch track to get the power to the ground, and get yourself a set of adjustable transfer rods.

I'll second what jwifferdill said - I've had 6 of these bad boys and all you have to do is get the power to the ground - can't improve much on the motor without going to a big bore - awesome sled - have fun with it

I will also agree with traction and clutching. From what I have been reading, you should probably order yourself up one of those hyper lite clutch kits. However, you are going to have to wait in line for a while.

Besides traction and clutching, which are no doubt the most critical areas, trail porting is going to get you 10 - 15 horses for about $650. Not a bad deal, but you do need to get the traction to the ground or the extra power is useless.

There are guys out there who will port your engine for a lot less than $650. There is a thread on the Yamaha forum of Amsnow that goes into detail about this. Might be worth looking into.

I was quoting the bender price off the top of my head, and am sure that there are people that will do it for less. I paid $400 for a no name to do mine and had the head cut down included in the deal.

Thanks guys. I'll give you advice a go. what about bender heel clickers, i have access to a set. Actually i tried it and found that there was no difference. maybe i did something wrong, i there a certain setup for it? i had it installed and it didn't pull any harder than my buddies 01 srx. but its still a little faster anyway. but didn't make it any stronger. let me know boys.........
hooked

hookedonblue said:
Thanks guys. I'll give you advice a go. what about bender heel clickers, i have access to a set. Actually i tried it and found that there was no difference. maybe i did something wrong, i there a certain setup for it? i had it installed and it didn't pull any harder than my buddies 01 srx. but its still a little faster anyway. but didn't make it any stronger. let me know boys.........
hooked
Your going to need traction to benefit from heel clickers or any other aggressive clutching mod! I would install a 1.25 ripsaw track or studs before I would dig into the clutches ;)!

I just wanted to comment on the porting that people are talking about. If you want cheep porting then you might be able to port for 350-400 range, but if you want impressive porting that has much time and research in it then I would talk to Flo by Bo. He has ported many yamaha cylinders and they look excellent when finished. You can tell that he takes pride in his work and it shows. Not that much more expensive either. As far as this thread, you should be able to clutch with an aggressive kit with or without traction, but traction is the way to get more out of your sled.

I agree that putting a new track is a big improvement.. I tried yesterday my ripsaw for the first time and i doesnt recognize my srx!! It pull real hard NOW!!! Wow!!! And my new mbrp can, is not has loud as poeple were saying!! its just a pleasant sound to my ear! ;)

ejcamaro said:
Besides traction and clutching, which are no doubt the most critical areas, trail porting is going to get you 10 - 15 horses for about $650. Not a bad deal, but you do need to get the traction to the ground or the extra power is useless.
...I agree, I had my 02 srx ported and I love it!

this is what i did

regear 22 T replacing a 23T ($21)
milling the inner flange on the helix to get full (more) shift and not run out of RPM at top end

i have yet to try this yet. but learned this on the board
pretty cheap upgrage/$$ ;)!

1 inch predator with lots of studs possibly a cold air kit from bender and those heel clickers should give you a few sleds not to mention a nasty hole shot as far as porting bender gets 15 hp out of theirs all top end speed too but u have to get that powerhouse to hook up ts3 transfer rods i hour to put in help a lot cans just sound cool and drop top end hp but i like the sound

Back