how do you tell if jetting is right?

Do a search for piston wash...that is the best way to tell. The plugs will tell you most of what you need to know but reading the piston is the best way.

Clean piston = rich
all black = lean
Clean around the outside 1/4" is usually where you want to be. Someone may have pictures that illustrate better.

Correct jetting

All, Here is the way I check, Run the sled down a trail or field up to about 2/3 throttle and hit the kill sw. Now remove plugs and take a look at them, Light white collered to lean, wet or blackend to rich. Remember the elevation and temp is important! Try your test run at your usual temp and elevation that you plan on doing most of your riding. Just the old school way I was taught. also, the stock jetting is set to save the motor (RICH) and basically safe for most areas and conditions of riding.Hope this helps, Thanks Bluebullet

yeah thanks guys ill probably go with the run it and then kill it and check...sounds easiet plus i read it somewhere else.

I think Doc's right the piston should be clean around the intake ports. The rest should be a little black/brown. If its all clean the unburnt gas is cleaning the tops of the piston. If its all brown or black than its to lean..

Doc and JW are correct . . .

You are looking for small areas washed clean at the edge of where the transfer ports exit. This gets washed clean by fuel. If more than this is clean, you are getting more fuel than optimum, but better to error this way than the other way (lean). If the piston top does not show any wash (clean area) then you are likely too lean and are risking burndown.

Back