secondary clutch downshift problem? maybe

dustedwatts

I have a 1992 Exciter 570 l/c 7 tooth drivers, 131 x 1.5 Track, new comet primary clutch( yellow spring, unsure on weights) stock secondary.

My PROBLEM: sled starts out and moves great! rpms hit between 7, 8000. at speed and under additional load, the sled will suddenly stop moving, RPM's will raise. after full stop (one time i went head-over-tea kettle) willl not move, sounds like belt slip, then will grab and off ya go again till it happens again. any thoughts?

my thought: DOWNSHIFT Prob, in secondary. what to do?

I really like this sled, and is currently under xtra-12 rear suspension mod.

from the description, sounds like its sticking open and not backshifting. smell of burning belt when this happens? has it been cleaned lately? plastic buttons in good shape? sheave bushing good? helix in good condition.

wow thanks for the quick reply!

sticking open thats what i was thinking too!
No burning smell, however i should have mentioned a small amount of snow is present at this time near the secondary.
this condition happened last season, but begining of last season, the buttons were replaced by a local shop, and they said everything else in there looked good, but I am not 100% sure. it is an old sled maybe its time to replace it with a new one.
What would you suggest?

I replaced the primary beginning of last season, cause it rattled so bad i was afraid it was going to come apart.

THanks again
I can not wait to ROCK this yamaha again this winter...

I haven't had one of those old secondarys apart in a long time, but is it possible that when they swapped the buttons they wound the spring the wrong way or didn't get it in a set of holes that allow for any tension so it can't/won't backshift.

Ryan B said:
I haven't had one of those old secondarys apart in a long time, but is it possible that when they swapped the buttons they wound the spring the wrong way or didn't get it in a set of holes that allow for any tension so it can't/won't backshift.

good call, i will take apart and check before i buy a new one... thanks

CAN NOT WAIT FOR SNOW, but wait till i get my sled put back together!

those things are difficult to reassemble without the proper tool. an extra hand is a big plus to place the clip on the shaft once the wind is complete, if you dont have the tool. never had the tool, always had extra hands.

snowdad4 said:
those things are difficult to reassemble without the proper tool. an extra hand is a big plus to place the clip on the shaft once the wind is complete, if you dont have the tool. never had the tool, always had extra hands.

I had my secondary clutch cleaned, buttons replaced, and helix polished, put it on, and tested... first cycle seamed to work good, then after that the belt would stick about half way down, and then slowly clutch went back to normal, tried again and total stick, tapped it by hand and snapped back.

does it need polished a little more, or lube maybe, i know the belt surface needs to be free from oil,
if lube what kind, and how do you keep it from getting on the belt surface?

had the exact same problem with my sx. you said there was a little snow around the secondary?? that is your culprit. belive me i went through both clutches and replaced bushings buttons springs u name it. i finally got a hold of another secondary and threw it on and same thing. it never happened on hard packed trail but whenever i got in any loose snow it would act up. rpms would go crazy high and the sled would stop dead. when i lifted the hood the belt was at the bottom of the secondary. and thats when the ole light came on. there was snow getting up around the clutches from a slice in the belly pan. the snow would get on the clutches, melt, and then the belt would slip. i chased that problem for 2 seasons. take a good look at the underside of ur belly pans and find where that snow is comming in from. i had an old chunk of belly pan layin around so i cut a piece from it and rivited it over my hole and no more problem...

Kidder said:
had the exact same problem with my sx. you said there was a little snow around the secondary?? that is your culprit. belive me i went through both clutches and replaced bushings buttons springs u name it. i finally got a hold of another secondary and threw it on and same thing. it never happened on hard packed trail but whenever i got in any loose snow it would act up. rpms would go crazy high and the sled would stop dead. when i lifted the hood the belt was at the bottom of the secondary. and thats when the ole light came on. there was snow getting up around the clutches from a slice in the belly pan. the snow would get on the clutches, melt, and then the belt would slip. i chased that problem for 2 seasons. take a good look at the underside of ur belly pans and find where that snow is comming in from. i had an old chunk of belly pan layin around so i cut a piece from it and rivited it over my hole and no more problem...
Yeah! last season i had trouble with the side panel staying connected, but when I ran it last weekend there was no snow on ground to get the belt wet. maybe i have a bad belt?

toydoc said:
Sounds like a weak driven spring and worn bushings on the driven.

I use Super Lube Dri-film on both clutchs, don't get it on the clutch face, have the belt off.

http://www.super-lube.com/aerosol-sprays-ez-46.htm

Also use it on my auto guns
I had just had the driven taken apart, I only ***-u-me that they checked the bushings, I am going to try the lube, first, if that doesn't work, I will send the clutch back and have them fix it right! any other thoughts, maybe bad belt? only has maybe 4 or 5 hours on it, but with the slip problems i had last season, maybe it glazed it too much.

I think i found an issue, the belt on the machine, measures 43 3/8 and 1.25 wide, suppose to have a 44 and 1.359. that should fix ride hight on secondary, and fix belt gap on primary.
thanks all you totally yamaha pros, this forum is awesome!

Back