viper electric start pics please

Exciter89

Yes, I did an extensive search and spent hours reading old threads on installing electric start on a viper which has answered about all of my questions I might have on the issue. What i'm looking for here is does anyone have any pictures of the wiring that I will need from the donor sled? specifically of the fuse block and the different connectors that will plug into my sled? I'm pretty freshed up of how to install it to my sled, I would just like some pics so that when i go look at the kit i'm considering this weekend, i'll know it has everything I need. Thanks guys! :letitsnow

Here ya go. Will even have a parts list you can download and print. Unless your kits comming of a salvaged er odds are you wont get a fuse box. They dont sell them anymore for add ons i just bought the little minni fuses and wired them in seperate. More than likley you will have to cut and splice all wireing. I put 2 in last spring, if you need help or some pics let me know ill dig out all my info. CCC

super1c said:
Here ya go. Will even have a parts list you can download and print. Unless your kits comming of a salvaged er odds are you wont get a fuse box. They dont sell them anymore for add ons i just bought the little minni fuses and wired them in seperate. More than likley you will have to cut and splice all wireing. I put 2 in last spring, if you need help or some pics let me know ill dig out all my info. CCC

yes, i'd like to see those pics. And yes, its coming from a salvaged ER.

e-start install

This may get long but heres what i did.
1). Take the clutch off and put the ring gear on. Torque to spec. Its a #30 torx wrench pec is 14 ft/lb. Use green locktite and let dry 24 hours. Very important to let dry!!

2) Install starter, follow the PDF files in the tech section. They have 2 great files with instructions.

3) Now the wiring, this is were it got tricky for me. First do the part that goes from the fuse box on the battery tray to the starter switch. Under the right foot cowel you will find a group of wires. One will be a capped end with a red, red/white, and black wire. This is what you wire the same color wires from the battery tray fuse box (Its also called the starter relay). I hard wired and then shrik wraped as i didnt have a factory end on my starter. If you followed the instuctions in #2 at this point your starter is done and working. If you want give it a quick test. The fuse box is not necessary. But yamaha put it their so i wanted one.

4) If you have the cool fuse box it will wire the same way as doing single fuses as i did. Under that same left cowel is 2 sets of wires that plug into each other. It will go as follows, cut and splice one at a time just so you dont mix up. Wire code as follows: Red wire to red/yellow wire (that is the ignition and uses a 10amp fuse. Blue wire to blue/red wire (that is tail light and is a 10amp fuse. Blue wire to blue/white ( that is your headlight and is a 20amp fuse). The 2 blue wires come from same source farther up the wire harness so if ya mix them up no big deal but i just went one at a time in order. Now you have your fuses wired up. DONE!!!! NO more pulling your arm off after riding all day. I love it.

Attachments

• IMAG0267 (640x480).jpg
    IMAG0267 (640x480).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMAG0268 (640x480).jpg
    IMAG0268 (640x480).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0266 (640x480).jpg
    IMAG0266 (640x480).jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0269 (640x480).jpg
    IMAG0269 (640x480).jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Thanks, i appreciate that. I help where i can. I had to do a lot of research for all the info, i was suprised by that. Must give credit to 2 posts that were the most help. One by nitris223 being helped by gild in 2010 and gone blue being helped by sneeky snake back in 2006. Also to sneeky for helping me out through a few PM's. Now its here in one place for future reference. CCC

I am trying to add e-start to my viper.

I have all the parts minus the fuse box and the wire connector for the starter relay, and have a question about how you wired your sled.

Did you go straight from the capped connector on the right side with three wires, to the starter relay on top of the battery cover while adding fuses in the middle ?

If so what colour wires went to which prong on the relay? There are three wires going into the capped connector, yet the relay is four prong.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Back