Cool 900 FUSION Function

2ooosrx

VIP Member
Website
www.cbperformanceparts.com
I am a totally yamaha dude but We have a 900 fusion at our shop right now and we started it up. We saw a button that said (REV) on it for reverse. When we hit it we heard the engine die down then start right back up again. Right away we knew what was happening, the engine stoped and ran backwards, pretty neat Idea it seems but I think there night be some problems with it in the long run. We were amazed, we looked at the primary and sure enough, it spun the other way, just an interesting fact I thought. This design eliminate the reverse gear and saves a little bit of weight.

dude were have you been ski doo has had it out for 5 years now the copyrite has run out so does polaris wish yamy would follow.

Blue who A copyright is a legal protection for a name that describes an object, system, idea etc. in this case RER or Rotax electronic reverse. A patent is what protects the technology from being copied and Ski-Doo should have another 10 years on that. You can bet that Polaris is writing cheques to Ski-Doo for every PERC equipped sled they sell. It is an awesome idea that goes back at least 40-50 years. The old motorcars that the railways used had no reverse, you just manually altered the timing until the engine spun in reverse. I was in one many years ago and saw it work. They must have patented the concept of doing it electronically. I've been told that it can't work on 4 strokes, but I believe that those old motorcars were. I think the problem is you would have to have symmetrical valve timing to allow reversing direction which would leave you with an engine capable of running in reverse but with crappy performance.

Actually, Polaris had a lawsuit aganst Doo several years ago and as a settlement Doo gave Polaris rights to use Rotax Electronic Reverse. I believe the lawsuit had to do with Doo copying Polaris' coupled suspension.
Having a reverse system that runs the engine backwards is really nothing new. Outboard boat motors have used this for years.
I know several people who have Polaris sleds with this system and half the time the engine stalls when you push the button.
Hebi

Hebi you are mainly right.

It was Ski-Doo that copied Polaris' coupling block a few years ago. So Polaris sued, and as a settlement, Ski-Doo allowed Polaris to use their RER technology. However, Polaris did rename it to PERC(Poalris Electronic Reverse Control).

My dad has a 2003 Classic 600 with Perc and it works flawlessly, you just have to let the engine warm up a bit first, but really you should be doing that before moving a machine in any direction anyway. If the engine is still cold, the engine could stall.

We also have a 2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 500, with RER and it also works flawlessly, same conditions apply as my dad's Polaris.

The way the electronic reverse works, is that is slows the engine down to a stall condition(I think somewhere arounf 600 RPM), then at the correct moment, when the piston is beginning it's up(compression) stroke, it fires the spark plug, thus igniting the fuel, and forcing the piston back down before it reached TDC(Top Dead Center). Thus reversing the direction of the engine. Also I think the Secondary clutch needs a special Helix in order to work properly with the reverse rotatation.

Edit: I talked to the Ski-Doo mechanics last year and they haven't had any machines back due to problems with the RER, so it must be pretty reliable
Jeff

The Fusion dyno numbers I have heard(stock) are around 138-142HP. Also people have been running them on GPS in some areas in Canada and the F7's are still outrunning them by a good 5mph. In fact the GPS speeds are around stock Viper territory. It's going to have a tough time beating it's rival ZR900.

the facts are getting a bit stretched here, belt fell off......lmao

Back