Gps at -30

that is deg C? keep it in an inner pocket as much as poss to save batts. if going to hard wire to sled ask manufactuer if heated mount is needed. some are ok others are not. we keep ours in an inner pocket cause at cold temps its hard on batts.

I don't work to -30 why would the GPS :lol:

I've used mine to -10 with a heated mount without a prob. If you can provide heat to the unit, I don't know why it wouldn't. If the unit isn't heated, I think the lcd screens could become fragile and get damaged.

I Used My Etrex Legend @-10f. The Screen Got S-l-o-w But It Still Worked. It Was Powered From The Sled, But I Would Believe The Batteries Wouldn't Have Made It.

Gps

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76 that I have hard wired in to my sled and mounted to the handlebars. For some reason we were actually dumb enough to start out a long ride last year at -32 F and the GPS display didn't work for the first 100 miles or so. Once it "warmed up" to about -10 F things were fine. It was actually working the whole time (tracks kept collecting) but I just couldn't see the display. That's the only day all year that I had any issues at all.

dnale said:
Would putting it in an inner pocket with a "warmer" help? I mean one of those air activated hand warmer type things....

i'm sure it would , but i know mine will not track from inside my pocket

ours does track from inner pocket. warmer is a good idea but we never found it ness. unless yer a popsicle riding your sled it will stay warm enough.

You guys should really try mounting the GPS to your handlebars or to the dash. I rode with it in my inner pocket for 3 trips before I got a mount. Too much hassle digging it out to check. On the dash is so-o-o-o-o-o much easier to use. A good RAM mount is only like $35 max.

Here's how I mounted my Garmin GPSMAP 276...12vdc power from sleds battery runs the GPS and a RCA jack wired to sleds ac circuit for the heater panel are mounted on cowl next to GPS mount. I wired the heater to the ac circuit so the heater pad is only on when the sled is running...don't have to remember to turn off any switches when parked. The GPS power is on all the time.

2scgps276mountjack.jpg

2scgpsheaterfr.jpg

Garmin has a nice little handle bar mount that I think was made for bikes that goes for about $20. I just ran the power cord thru the h-bar pad. Clean looking and when the GPS isn't on the sled you never notice the mount.

Here's what I did on mine. No worry of batteries going down or screen not working due to temp. Mine is the green ZR. I can't imagine having to take it out of a pocket to use it!

GPS Install

The cover keeps the heat in from the buttons and screen so the screen never slows up or dims.

Last edited:
ya that little heater element is neat! where can i get 1. i have a garman 60cs w/ the bar mount. I could slide the heater right inside the my neoprene case.do you run a battery at all.

I mounted my Lowrance 3500C in the center of the handlebars, I did have to cut the pad and vinyl but the unit is in an excellent location. My GPS can be seen at -20*f but is darker than normal, after about 10 minutes the screen is normal. At 0*f it takes about 5 minutes at 10*f screen is ready to run normal view. I am always inputing information when on a new trail, that I have not mapped, I try to upload all stop signs, intersections, fuel stops, eateries ect. I have a pretty good mapp of lower Michigan and western MN. I started mapping last winter, second season with same GPS, Display is 5" color. I wish sled manufactures would recognize the ability of a GPS. They could intergrate into dash gauge cluster. A single common gauge, GPS w, mapping ability.

I live up here in Winnipeg (aka Winterpeg) and have experimented with my Garmin 60CSX with batteries and hardwired.

What I have found is that at -15c and using the batteries only with the unit mounted to my handlebars is that the unit will operate at this temp or warmer. Temps colder than that, like -20c or -30c, it usually dies within a few minutes. I would just keep it in my pocket.

I did this until i was fueling up and saw a guy on a sled pull up with the same unit and it was hardwired to the battery and the temp was about -30c that day. I asked him when that unit will not operate and he explained that as long as its plugged in, it has operated on a very cold day he was out and the temp was -38c (almost -40c).

I am in the process of hardwriing both of my sleds now.

Back