Snocross Helmets...

Netefrog

I'm in the market for a new helmet. This time I want to go with a snocross style helmet. Who is using that style of helmet and what do you suggest. I was thinking of a good old HJC with a set of Scott googles.

I have the HJC CL-X6 and Scott light sensitive quick strap. Very nice so far. Only had two short rides in warm conditions with this combo at the end of the season. The only thing I see a potential problem is there is a small gap between the goggles and the helmet just above my temples.

I have to ask; why snocross/motocross style instead of a traditional full coverage winter helmet? Is it really just to look cool? I've tried it (to look cool) and the air gaps around the open face hurt in the cold! I'm just real curious why people do this?

Excitabletom said:
I have to ask; why snocross/motocross style instead of a traditional full coverage winter helmet? Is it really just to look cool? I've tried it (to look cool) and the air gaps around the open face hurt in the cold! I'm just real curious why people do this?

Have you ever tried to ride off trail with a closed face helemt, with constant snow over the bars? Goggles usually do not fog up nearly as much as a full face mask.

I used to use full face helmets all the time, with and without the elements and where i am from they always fogged up,It was either the visor or my glasses that would fog up. It is usually really cold around here, -20 to -30. I bought a sled from my brother and he had snocross style helmet which came with the sled, I used once and have never turned back, I can honestly say i will never use a full face helmet again. So in my case it has nothing to do with trying to be cool. It is just a preference. Oh yeah a balaclava helps alot with the air gaps and cold.

Excitabletom said:
As long as you get a helmet and goggles designed for snow there should be no airgaps. The balaclava you wear also helps with any issues. The visibility and clarity are much better with the goggle style helmet. There is a reason that Snowcrossers wear this style. So they can see, even when snow is thrown at them.

I was once a skeptic, but once I switched and got over the learning curve, I rarely put on any of the full face helmets I have including my modular helmet that cost a bunch.

The Fly helmets look sweet. Im going to try my Arai mx helmet this winter, I spent the big bucks on it maybe I can get all seasons out of it.

Back