Iridium Spark Plugs, What's the hype?!?

Automed

Iridium spark plugs, I've been hearing that they are supposedly fantastic!!!

Some folks swear that you can hear and feel the difference...

Sound's like snake oil salesmen stuff but I am open minded, anybody know anything about these new "super" plugs?

i have ran those in a polaris ultra and did notice reduced fouling and better midrange throttle response. it wont blow your socks off but it is slightly noticeable.

I noticed they resist fouling as well, fouling prevelant in the older sleds, ...certainly worth the price of admission.

The tips are made out of a very hard metal, much harder than the metals used in most spark plugs.
This had 2 advantages. First of all, because it is harder, you dont need as much metal to make the tip as strong as a regular plug. Less metal means there is less voltage drop. Because of this, you get a hotter spark with no modifications. You wont foul plugs out as often due to this.
Also, the tip wears a lot slower because of how hard the metal is.
I ran NGK Iridiums in my '90 Phazer II last winter and it ran a little bit better. I think that a fan-cooled sled would benefit the most due to how rich they are set up.
Are they worth the money? Probably not. I used to run plain old $2 a piece NGKs and they usually lasted at least 1,000 miles. If you buy the iridiums for $6-$8 a piece and replace them even every 2,000 miles you really arent ahead.
My brother has a set of NGK Iridiums in his '98 Polaris 700 XC that have 1500 miles on them. However, for them to be worth the money, they would have to last at least 6,000 miles. In a 2-stroke engine I dont see that happening, in a 4-stroke, maybe...
Hebi

Back