What year is my sled?

dustedwatts

I have a Exciter 570 l/c.. I thought it was a 1992, but the new belt i bought fits the secondary just a little above, but on the primary it is too wide. i cannot turn engine over.... the vin # is 82m-005248 any ideas what year this sled is... Maybe My primary is wrong(or not set up properly)? not sure. Please help my poor helpless yamalaris.... THANKS

dustedwatts said:
I have a Exciter 570 l/c.. I thought it was a 1992, but the new belt i bought fits the secondary just a little above, but on the primary it is too wide. i cannot turn engine over.... the vin # is 82m-005248 any ideas what year this sled is... Maybe My primary is wrong(or not set up properly)? not sure. Please help my poor helpless yamalaris.... THANKS

I don't think you have the entire vin#. I think you're missing the first 7 numbers. So I would say the 10th digit is a "m" which would make it a 1991. So it should be the 5248th sled made in 1991.

For future reference:

1-9= 1971-1979
A-Y= 1980-2000
1-9= starts over 2001-2009
2010=A
2011=B

As for the belt, I think the 90-93 exciter takes the same belt. It sounds like your secondary might be shimmed for previous belt wear. I can't think of a good reason why the primary would seem like it's not opening enough.

Last edited:
glockwise said:
I don't think you have the entire vin#. I think you're missing the first 7 numbers. So I would say the 10th digit is a "m" which would make it a 1991. So it should be the 5248th sled made in 1991.

For future reference:

1-9= 1971-1979
A-Y= 1980-2000
1-9= starts over 2001-2009
2010=A
2011=B
nice try, but that concept never has or will apply to snowmobiles or other off highway vehicles. works on the atv's and street bikes, but the yamaha snowmobiles have there own vin codes. the vins are coded per model noted by the first three digits and some models use the same 3 digits and rely on subsequent numbers for year determination.

snowdad4 said:
if 82M is stamped on the tunnel, its an 87. the next question would be are the clutches stock for that year or have they been changed.
so if its an 87, then the belt should be the 1.25 wide 33.? long, hmmm, then the primary is set perfect. what should the belt ride hight be sitting still, I thought it should be just above the sheave, it is sitting about 1/8" below, maybe this is ok, cause I only have the 91/92 manuel...
Is there a link for the correct manuel?
thanks for the reply.

91-92 should have the same clutches as the 87. are you running the 87X or the 89L? either way the belt should be at the top or slightly below the sheaves of the secondary, without me looking it up. rule of thumb: flat top belts should ride flush or below, top cog belts are the ones to ride just above. hope that helps.

snowdad4 said:
91-92 should have the same clutches as the 87. are you running the 87X or the 89L? either way the belt should be at the top or slightly below the sheaves of the secondary, without me looking it up. rule of thumb: flat top belts should ride flush or below, top cog belts are the ones to ride just above. hope that helps.

I Looked up dayco belts, for 1987 it says use HPX5000 measures 43.313X1.250,
and for 1992 use HPX5008 measures 44.250X1.391. I am not sure.
When i did some measurements on the sled, everything measured in correct all but the offset of the secondary was wrong (had less than .20) so i adjusted it to about .50 Maybe this was my problem all along? not sure,

If offset is wrong will it make the belt hang up half way down the secondary?

snowdad4 said:
if 82M is stamped on the tunnel, its an 87. the next question would be are the clutches stock for that year or have they been changed.

I believe but not sure the secondary is stock(rebuilt, helix polished, new buttons), the primary is a comet replacement, new mid season last year.

Back