permatex equivalent to loctite 648?

Exciter89

I've searched on here and on the internet in general to no avail... i'm putting the ring gear on my 02 Viper for the electric start install. It calls for loctite 648 but I can not find this stuff for the life of me. Local parts store lists it, but they can not get it. Anyone know what the permatex equivalent is for this? there is a green permatex, which says it is supposed to be applied AFTER assembly, and there is also a permatex high temp red that says its good for 450F and above. the red says its for ring gear bolts and the green says its for pressed parts like sleves and stuff. I beleive the 648 was also for pressed parts but yamaha called for it to be put right on the threads? So i guess i'm just a litle confused about which one I should use, I don't want any problems down the trails. I can still get the 648 from yamaha, but its $40 for a 10ml bottle. part number ACC-21443-00-00. the permatex is only about 7 and I only need it for the 6 bolts holding the ring gear on. Any help here would be great. thanks! :letitsnow

red or blue will work but i prefer the blue one ....don't take the green one

just go to any dealer if they did any of the recalls one of the mech's will have some because they get a bottle in every kit

I know this is an old thread but thought I would add this note for anyone reading this. I've run into the same situation of not being able to find loctite 648. It is actually a sleeve retainer and not a threadlocker.

A very, very close equivalent in Permatex is the High Strength Sleeve Retainer. If you compare technical data sheets they are both green, and have very close chemical properties including bonding strengths and effective temperature ranges.

http://www.permatex.com/products/pr...matex-high-temperature-sleeve-retainer-detail

Hope this helps.....

I've searched on here and on the internet in general to no avail... i'm putting the ring gear on my 02 Viper for the electric start install. It calls for loctite 648 but I can not find this stuff for the life of me. Local parts store lists it, but they can not get it. Anyone know what the permatex equivalent is for this? there is a green permatex, which says it is supposed to be applied AFTER assembly, and there is also a permatex high temp red that says its good for 450F and above. the red says its for ring gear bolts and the green says its for pressed parts like sleves and stuff. I beleive the loctite 638 vs 648 was also for pressed parts but yamaha called for it to be put right on the threads? So i guess i'm just a litle confused about which one I should use, I don't want any problems down the trails. I can still get the 648 from yamaha, but its $40 for a 10ml bottle. part number ACC-21443-00-00. the permatex is only about 7 and I only need it for the 6 bolts holding the ring gear on. Any help here would be great. thanks! :letitsnow
The key difference between Loctite 638 vs. 648 is that Loctite 648 demonstrates faster cure, higher strengths, and better resistance to heat, chemicals, and aging compared to Loctite 638.

• Loctite 648 is designed for retaining cylindrical fitted parts at higher temperatures up to 600°F intermittent. It provides high strength and oil resistance.
  • The Permatex product that seems most similar is Permatex Ultra Green. It is made for pressed/slip fitted assemblies and can withstand temperatures up to 300°F continuous.
  • Permatex Ultra Red may not be the best match because it is designed more as a threadlocker rather than a retaining compound.
  • Even though Permatex Ultra Green is rated for lower temps than Loctite 648, it still may provide sufficient strength retention at your application's operating temperature. I would recommend verifying the expected temperature the ring gear will see.
  • If you need the high heat resistance of Loctite 648, you may have to use that specific product. But for most applications, Permatex Ultra Green seems like a suitable lower cost alternative for retaining cylindrical parts.

Back