Heat cycling hyfax with a heat gun ?

Vmax540

VIP Member
Website
vintagevmax.com
We all know the benefits of heat cycling new hyfax so, why not try it with a heat gun and ice especially, at the bend in the rails or other high wear areas ?

The so called heat cycling of hyfax to cause a change in them for longer wear is a bunch of crap. The hyfax material is simply a plastic. Heat cycling them will not cause any chemical nor structuralar molecular changes. Don't waste you time.

You can harden plastic with the heating cooling method,,, just as plastic gets brittle after time...

Last edited:
I have a friend who used to work at a platic extrusion company. The company did not have the dies for the hyfax but they could make them harder. Basically they heated the patch of hyfax in a large oven and then quenched in cold water. I am not sure what temperature or even how many times but I do know the hardened hyfax has went well over 4K miles on 3 different sleds. I have been running same hyfax for 3 years On the SXR 700 DLX 600 and Phazer II lt. I could not get a set for the Viper.
Al

Vmax540 said:
Some of the better After Market slides come with instructions in which I believe glazes the hyfax which makes them resistance to wear ?

Which ones would be considered better. The OEM ones wear well (in my estimation)and you don't have to trim them down.

Slippery Slides?

Are the slippery slides that dennis kirk sell worth the couple of extra bucks. They have graphite in them I believe.

My question is if slides can be made to last longer with the heat cycling, why aren't they offered that way at a higher price. Not saying it isn't true, but it would seem you could buy them that way if it does work.
When Yamaha first offered graphite slides, I bought a set. I don't remember the price, but they were big bucks. They were not molded, but totally machined from billet and drilled to retain snow.

A couple of bucks said:
Which ones would be considered better. The OEM ones wear well (in my estimation)and you don't have to trim them down.
Cwagner100 said:
Are the slippery slides that dennis kirk sell worth the couple of extra bucks. They have graphite in them I believe.

Too bad there are not snowmobile magazines that do testing of these kinds of things.

Of course, they do not want to offend their advertisers.

I believe the cost would be way too much for the average consumer. Heat cycling, 3 to 4 times. basically heat up the oven, sort out the hyfax, heat, remove for cooling, heat up again and cool down, Process X3 ot 4 . Labor would be far too much. $100 per pair???? Yes I have gotten many more miles out of a pair, but would I pay 3 times the amount for a set, no. Al

alswagg said:
I believe the cost would be way too much for the average consumer. Heat cycling, 3 to 4 times. basically heat up the oven, sort out the hyfax, heat, remove for cooling, heat up again and cool down, Process X3 ot 4 . Labor would be far too much. $100 per pair???? Yes I have gotten many more miles out of a pair, but would I pay 3 times the amount for a set, no. Al

In production, it would be a constant flow method of treatment. The Yamaha graphite slides I bought would have had much more production costs involved.
The cost/benefit here is what we do not know.

Back