SXViper build

templeron

picked up my 2002 viper with 649 miles in near mint shape with a single place trailer last year for $2300. after a season of pure joy, beating, and about 700 miles i decided it was time to step it up!

somehow i managed to snap off an motor mount bolt in the block: extracted!

in removing the stock exhaust manifold i managed to snap four of the studs off at the flange, so if anybody has advice as to how to remove those, It would be greatly appreciated, I've tried a combination of vicegrips, pb blaster and a map gas torch to no success.

also cleaning up the intake/exhaust ports while it's apart, nothing agressive though.

my friends dad crashed into me with his doo last year, so i replaced that, and polished it while i was at it!
DSCN1474.jpg

DSCN1473.jpg

still need to re-attach the snow flap which also came off due to said friends father.

I figured it was also a good time to check out/clean up the pistons since i was replacing the HG anyways

polished up the clutch/belt cover along with an underhood brace
DSCN1549.jpg

painted the the hood vents white

fly racing aluminum 45* handlebar hooks
barhooks.jpg

custom 2 1/2" bar riser made at my friends dad's machine shop

now i'm just looking for a nice ripsaw track in the area to replace the one i tore nearly every lug off the outside edges.

picked up a set of simmons's CPR tripple pipes at a swap meet-$200
guy lied about jets coming with it, but a forum member sent me them-$0
3 cans of white 2000* VHT exhaust paint- $30
Bender opticool head gasket- $55 shipped
srx rear heat exchanger-$80 shipped
rear bumper- $10
Fly racing bar hooks- $38 shipped
bar riser- $0
polishing- Free!

well after having multiple exhaust studs and powervalve cap screws break off in the block the jugs had to be brought to a machine shop, 20 bucks a stud to remove >=|
managed to snap the bracket that holds the oil pump cable, had to buy a used oil pump because you cant just buy the bracket itself 30 bucks.
BUT i finally got her back together and running yesterday! Those pipes sound great! huge power increase, and not loud enough to bother fish and game!
only complaint is a huge, let me restate that, HUGE drop in fuel economy. haha
oh and the VHT very high temp exhaust paint yellowed within the first ride, i would not suggest it to anyone.

templeron said:
1. only complaint is a huge, let me restate that, HUGE drop in fuel economy. haha

2. oh and the VHT very high temp exhaust paint yellowed within the first ride, i would not suggest it to anyone.

1.What did she drop to.....about in half....8 mpg

2.Rut-row-raggy......what happened.

I havn't figured out mileage yet but i will soon.. not good though. I was able to drop the fuel needle a full notch and turned in the idle screw a bit, and still be well within the safe range.

Not idea, but like i said, it worked awful. i can't imagine the exhaust exceeded the advertised 2000*.

so i've been getting about 9mpg. ouch.

but now its out stuck in the field for 3 reasons.
a. we just got a foot of heavy snow
b. huge power loss
c. its late (ill dig it out tomorrow and limp it to the barn)

what im worried about it the power loss, it seemed like it was running on 2 cylinders (powerwise) but idle was fine, and sparkplugs looked perfect, and have only a couple hundred miles on them.
it doesn't want to rev high, and bogs down when it gets there. motor sounds fine outside fo that though. almost like a rev limited feel to it in high rpms.
just over 1800 miles.
cleaned the power valves less than 200 miles ago.
it ran perfect last time i took it out.

i read one thread that sounded similar and it was busted reeds. any oppinions on that?

Could be the T.O.R.S. kicked in because of snow ingestion with all that snow.Did you have the carb warmers on?Any airbox mods?

i checked airbox for snow and it wasn't too bad.. it was acting up before i started getting into the powder as well, carbwarmers i believe are on.

undate: after digging it out no more rev limit feel, must have been a combination of the powerloss and heavy snow.

still a definite loss of power however, again like it was only running on 2 cylinders(just powerwise)

ran it on a very long straitaway where i normaly have no problem hitting 115+ and have to let off. it wouldnt do over 100.

still no bad noises, idle is fine, no flashing lights, i have no clue what is wrong with my baby =(

Definitely check the reeds. Your top end will suffer if you any kind of chipped reeds. The Viper motors are known for this.

i decided to adjust the powervalves while i was at it and noticed the tripple pipes had melted the casing of one of the PV cables, after adjusting them it came back to life, must have gotten stuck. i guess ill have to get some insulation on them.

So after some time with the tripple pipes, the exchange in fuel economy just isnt worth it to me, i enjoy going on long rides without having to worry. after the season is over they'll be up for sale along with jetting, possibly a rear heat exchanger as well.
i'll get pics and a video up soon. They sound great, but arent loud(louder than stock) power gain is huge.

I am however in the market for after market reeds, clutching and track/tunnel extension kits if there is interest in a trade for some of these

Back