how are clutches balanced

WATCHMAKER

I looks like the secondary sheeves are each balanced so no matter what your twist angle is it will remain balanced. However on the primary I only have ever seen that the fixed sheeve is drilled for balancing. So it looks to me like it is static balanced. (like when a car tire is balanced with the weights only on the inside) So whenever someone changes the fixed or moving sheeve the clutch is going to be out of balance. The same would be true if the split rings were changed on the fixed sheeve. Does anyone balance clutches? How is it done? Can a clutch be balanced on both ends?

Don,t need it done. If you weigh oem primary ramps they are out 1-2 grams each sometimes & aftermarkets can be worse. Not even the big guns balance clutches.

I don't know if by "change" you mean changing the position of the parts, or changing the parts. There are match marks on the components (X's). The split rings are near enough to the center that they may not cause a problem. It would probably be best to have the end gaps even. Replacement parts may be balanced seperately, but when matched with the old parts, the clutch would still be unbalanced - though not as bad as it may be otherwise.

I do not know of a place that balances them. Seeing that Yamaha spends the time and money to do it, they feel it is worthwhile. An automotive speed shop or race engine builder should be able to balance the clutch.

Last edited:

Back