Home made Sled Lift

orchie18

Has anyone built the sled lift design provided in the tech section. Im wondering how hard it would be to build this lift. Im really good with a chop saw and my best buddy is a top notch welder. anyone priced up how much it would cost to build..and finaly has anyone lifted a srx with one with out damaging anything. Any info would be excellent.

I've personally built and used the plans from this site. We actually drilled the bolt holes bigger than shown in the square tubing and then welded a piece of round iron in there with a hole. This way it acts as a bushing.

Ours is modified a little from the plans for use of the jack we bought.
We also just use a little 2x4 on the ends instead of the metal loops they want you to build.

But we've successfully lifted anything from a 97 SX 700 to an 07 Apex Mtn, so it will hold some weight. :)

I built this back in 07 as a senior in high school

Last edited:
SXlover said:
I've personally built and used the plans from this site. We actually drilled the bolt holes bigger than shown in the square tubing and then welded a piece of round iron in there with a hole. This way it acts as a bushing.

Ours is modified a little from the plans for use of the jack we bought.
We also just use a little 2x4 on the ends instead of the metal loops they want you to build.

But we've successfully lifted anything from a 97 SX 700 to an 07 Apex Mtn, so it will hold some weight. :)

I built this back in 07 as a senior in high school

do ya rember the rough cost to build?

orchie18 said:
Has anyone built the sled lift design provided in the tech section. Im wondering how hard it would be to build this lift. Im really good with a chop saw and my best buddy is a top notch welder. anyone priced up how much it would cost to build..and finaly has anyone lifted a srx with one with out damaging anything. Any info would be excellent.

just searched for it, but was unable to locate the design in the tech section. please bump it to top of the thread

I built a very stable stand for our sleds. Just the right size for working on. Mine is not actually a lift though. I use an overhead hoist to lift the sleds onto the stand. However I can wheel the sleds around the shop while on the stand. In the summer time it doubles as a stand for the jet ski's. Al

I built one, but I didn't pay for the steel. ;)! We had to modify to use 2"x2" because that's what was free. added nylocs to the hardware.

Clickable thumbnails:

Last edited:
i built mine but got the steel for cost of the welding shop ....was rite at 100 bucks ...if i had to pay full price it was gonna be like 125 and that was with the jack ....

orchie18 said:

I bought one from a Canadian company (Mar-lift or some such name) that is roughly the same dimensions but uses a cable winch rather than a screw jack and also uses heater hose riveted to the lift points.

I fab'd two more, the latest using a screw jack. All three have had some heavy sleds on them (1st year T-cat, Mach-Z and SRX) and are holding up well.

Can't give a cost as the steel was free.

i put casters on mine. never had a problem. just get casters rated for enough. i used the 360* swivel casters with a lock mechanism on all four corners. sometimes its easier with two people to steer it.

orchie18 said:
Any one put casters on the bottom or would it be to unstable?

Mine came with front casters and stationary rear wheels. They're roughly 2 1/2" and mounted up high on the frame so that the lift has roughly 1/2" ground clearance which makes it real stable and also low hung to allow for clearance to slide under low slung drag sleds. The front also has a pointed screw that can be lowered to contact the floor to avoid the front casters from moving for and aft or side to side.

I've had sleds, ATVs and PWCs on it... a real back saver!

Back