bogging down in the deep stuff

snowjoe

how can i keep the air going to the motor when the front of my sled is full of snow? and from bogging down. can i drill some holes in the hood by the speedo. or should i turn my shock mounts upside down in the front. i have a 99 srx

A good solution

I have plenty of buddies that have SRX's and usually the quick, easy and pretty cheap fix is to get the cold air kit from Bender racing or Mountain performance. Around $100.00, it is easy to install and pretty much insures you'll always have cold air to the motor. Your throttle response and power will slightly improve.

get yourself a cold air kit, I used bender's kit. the sled sucks air from by the handle bars instead of from under the hood.

snowjoe said:
how can i keep the air going to the motor when the front of my sled is full of snow? and from bogging down. can i drill some holes in the hood by the speedo. or should i turn my shock mounts upside down in the front. i have a 99 srx

I have the same problem with my SRX 2001 and my friend with his sxr in the deep snow stuff !! we did put an aftermarket exhaust and it work well!

same thing happens on my viper , seems to be the end of the pipes dont have enough room to breath when in the deep stuff , going to try and make a deflector for the pipe ends to clear a path in the snow ...

B2SO said:
same thing happens on my viper , seems to be the end of the pipes dont have enough room to breath when in the deep stuff , going to try and make a deflector for the pipe ends to clear a path in the snow ...

a deflector at the end of the silencer? if its what your talking about, it doesnt help!

Oh Billy... If the Viper has a under hood intake, block it off! make sure all air going to the air box is coming from outside the hood. If you have a bog when it is tipped to the exhaust side, we could put a mm exhaust deflector on, with some possible modding...

you may want to start with the rear suspension these machines love to drive the front end into the gound there is a cheap fix take the transfer rods off grinde off the washers and replace with lock collars this way you have adjustable weight tansfer .add larger idlers and torque front susp shock a bit did this on my 99 srx works perfect pulls the skis any time i want gained 16mph on radar overall huge diff for next to no money. also installed mbrp can awsome sound and no blockage problems.

My SRX's were doing the same thing...when breaking trail or driving after a snow storm on a trail that hasn't been groomed was an impossible task. I thought the problem was snow going onto the pipes and causing steam which is then sucked into the airbox. I would lift the hood and tons of steam would be billowing out and the plugs would be fouled up....I almost had to walk out of the bush once because of it.

Anyway, I put a bender cold air kit in the MSRX without airbox mods or jetting changes. That cured the problem...now I can go crashing through the bush ice fishing with the machine without having to walk.

That cold bender kit is interesting!! I think all the SRX have the same problem.. THe aftermarket silencer did cure the problem a little but the problemt is always there!!

Do you need to modify to hood to install that?? where i can purchase this thing??!

You can order it from a dealer or even some snowmachine catalogue (ie Royal Distributing). You get a template that you place on the hood above the airbox and cut out holes. Bender says you need to re-jet, but it is not necessary. A mechanic at the Yamaha dealer told me not to re-jet just to be on the safe side. He said if I am running on the trails or hard pack conditions, to take the foam (comes with the kit) out. When going to play in the snow...make sure the foam is in. I store the foam in my headlight under the hood. I do the same thing with my work sled (700 MMax) and it works great (stock fresh air kit). I don't want to rejet especially when the temps here are extremely cold (last winter -45C).

thx srxpete, i think i will try this kit,,. I do some deep snow riding and this bug is really annoying!! Will look at royal distributing

A guy on another forum tell me that he had this problem with his mountain max but this kit is just for the SRX i think?

Back