piston ring sealling up

crfbikerboy

Hi Guys , I bought a 93 exciter sx the other day , got it cheap, in pretty good shape , but one cylinder had only 110lbs and the other had 150, so I tore apart and found the piston had been detonating and pinched the rings , so i put in two new pistons and rings , gently honed the cylinders, there in not bad shape. Now I ran the engine for a few minutes and did a compression test....I know have 130 in the cylinder that had 150 and 125 in the cylinder I had 110....so my question is....will these rings seal up that much more that i would get 150 out of the cylinder that has 130..... I'm trying to fiqure how I lost 20 lbs with new piston and rings????? I didn't think that they would be that low befor total breakin...

the rings have to now conform to the walls of the cyl.They will come back up after you put some miles on it.My 600 with new piston/rings started out with 125 and now are in the 150 range after 260 km's of riding..My engine had 12,000 + km's on it yet.The crosshatch was good..srubbed cyl walls and washed /rinsed and ready to go.Patience!!!

Back