srx shutting off

myamaha

I have a 98 srx that keeps shuttng off by it self. When I drive it just shuts of and then I let it coast to a stop and give it a pull and the way you go again, also it was idaling in my shop and it shut off by it self. I've by passed both the kill switch throttle switch and the switch on the carbs. Ive checked the wiring harness going into the cdi box for chaffing nothing. What other switch can cause this would the stator be loose.

probally the wirng harness that goes under the engine up to the hood harness is rubbed thru, sometimes the hi beam light,gas guage will quit working too. Does the srx coolant light only blink 3 times when you start it? You have to unhook it(wiring harness) by the hood, then pull it backwards up to the airbox, repair, put elec. conduit on it,then fish it back with a coat hanger, try to get it in the harness clips, and it makes this whole process easier if you remove the pipes and muffler,airbox.

re

Does your temp light ever come on because my brother 1998 srx 600 mountain did the same thing and had ever confused and it ended up to be the exaust valves were stuck do you stilll have alot of speed.
Mike

dirty exhaust valves will not just kill the engine. Its probably an electrical short somewhere

It also could be carburation. Your carb bowls could be emptying out causing the engine to quit. Perhaps your needle and seat need to be replaced. This will happen primarily when you are running 1/2 to full throttle. If the thing starts, idles or runs at low speeds for a few minutes before dying, I would suspect ignition. If it is dying after higher-throttle usage I would suspect carburation.

Good luck. ;)!

srx problam

i had an srx 600 that did this axact same thing and i found that the wiring
was chaffed through and shorting out. if you look underneath the plastic
shroud right in front of your left leg, if you are sitting on the machine,there
is an electrical component and the connectors go downward and the wires
chaff on the metal right above your left boot. i repaired the wires that were chaffed and wrapped with electrical tape. never had the problam again.

Back