shell gasoline question? CANADA

my premium is from co-op at 91 octane.No ethanol in it.Carbs are normally spotless thru out the riding season.My DCS never comes on and I have done some long wot pulls the other day and not an issue with the gas at all.I think co-op gets thier gas thru esso anyways.

Yes, Co-op, Esso and shell have 0% ethenal. All others such as Mohawk, Domo, ect have it... It also says on their pumps no ethenol, but that is not a guarentee... I have used Esso for years...

bluemonster1 said:
my premium is from co-op at 91 octane.No ethanol in it.Carbs are normally spotless thru out the riding season.My DCS never comes on and I have done some long wot pulls the other day and not an issue with the gas at all.I think co-op gets thier gas thru esso anyways.

Just because the fuel has ethanol doesn't mean it isn't what it says it is regarding octane. The problem comes from stored fuel either in the ground at the station or in your tank over the summer. If all your fuel comes from a high volume dealer you probably won't have issues. But since snowmobile fuel sources are typically back country places that don't sell much premium fuel except to high output snowmobilers, you may be putting 91 octane fuel in your tank that's 2-3 months old that ain't 91 no-moe. And unless you and 20-30 other affected customers can pull resources for laywers, fuel sample testing, expert testimony, etc, expect to be the lone supplier of repair funds.

Perhaps some enterprising Canuck can perform some random testing on they're fuel. All thats needed is water and a couple measured beekers.

Maybe Ontario is alone in thier mandate but if I lived outside of Ontario I wouldn't assume that the fuel supplier or station owner isn't cutting corners. After all, nearly all trucks/autos and low to mid performance 87 octane burning sleds won't have issues. It's the small minority high output folks like us SRX owners that can suffer.

DCS is great insurance and is perhaps nearly fullproof. But IMO there ain't no such thing as perfection unless you're a 2011 year old jewish carpenter.

We here in the states already know what we're up against. Or at least we know enough to not assume we know. I can't stress enough the need to ignore what the pump says. Whether it's the refinery or the station owner, there is too much incentive to cut corners.

Not even a handful of refineries so many gas stations. Only difference is their add pack added manually to the truck container before delivery. These are for gas stations that guaranties higher level of detergent that is mandated by the province. Petro-Canada, Shell-Canada, Sunoco-Canada...

This has been push by the automobile industry for cleaner more efficient engines. Hence the TopTier gas consortium. (BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and since 07 Volkswagen/Audi).

On the big fuel suppliers websites that say 10% ethanol fuel can be stored in a dry sealed container for up to one year without any problems. This is before fuel separation can occur. Always though this also means when octane level will diminish.

Not even a 6 months old Ultramar station got caught with lots of water in their tanks in my city. What the F*** happened there is anyone's guess. One reason I don't mind paying more and go to the more reputable stations where there's higher chances of owners not screwing clients up. Maybe I am paying more for nothing, who really knows.

dwarf717 said:
You have NO idea what you're talking about, and I really hope others here don't follow your wrong advice.

I don't think you know what your talking about , Co op premium has no ethanol

snomofo said:
I agree that for the thousands of regular Joe snowmobile and thier unmodified mid or low performance 2 strokes, E10 won't cause too many issues and yes, fuel is an easy scapegoat. But in the past few years I've seen many first ride burndowns that have two things in common. Summer stored fuel and evidence of detonation. Not to mention the white buggers found in nearly every float bowl or pilot jet I've had in my hand this year.

Many think that as long as the sled starts with the summer stored fuel it must be okay... and again for the thousands of low and mid performance sleds it probably is. But if your sled expects 91 octane and after sitting all summer the fuel in the tank no longer is, Mr. Squeeky shows up.

Couple this with the fact that many don't have the restraint of the throttle to putz along on the first tank (me included).

"man what a great first ride! hey, heres a lake. I'll race ya across - whopwhop - woo-whoo... squeak... aw shoot, whahappen?

I work in automotive fuel systems and aside from different needs related to pump chamber/impeller and brushes, 4 strokes handle up to E85 without any major issues. IMO - 2 strokes are a whole 'nother animal.
GOOD POST !!!

snomofo said:
Just because the fuel has ethanol doesn't mean it isn't what it says it is regarding octane. The problem comes from stored fuel either in the ground at the station or in your tank over the summer. If all your fuel comes from a high volume dealer you probably won't have issues. But since snowmobile fuel sources are typically back country places that don't sell much premium fuel except to high output snowmobilers, you may be putting 91 octane fuel in your tank that's 2-3 months old that ain't 91 no-moe. And unless you and 20-30 other affected customers can pull resources for laywers, fuel sample testing, expert testimony, etc, expect to be the lone supplier of repair funds.

Perhaps some enterprising Canuck can perform some random testing on they're fuel. All thats needed is water and a couple measured beekers.

Maybe Ontario is alone in thier mandate but if I lived outside of Ontario I wouldn't assume that the fuel supplier or station owner isn't cutting corners. After all, nearly all trucks/autos and low to mid performance 87 octane burning sleds won't have issues. It's the small minority high output folks like us SRX owners that can suffer.

DCS is great insurance and is perhaps nearly fullproof. But IMO there ain't no such thing as perfection unless you're a 2011 year old jewish carpenter.

We here in the states already know what we're up against. Or at least we know enough to not assume we know. I can't stress enough the need to ignore what the pump says. Whether it's the refinery or the station owner, there is too much incentive to cut corners.
Another GREAT POST !!!

PhatboyC said:
snip
This has been push by the automobile industry for cleaner more efficient engines. Hence the TopTier gas consortium. (BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and since 07 Volkswagen/Audi).

snip.

Some background from memory regarding detergent mandates for U.S. fuels...

The detergents are used primarily to combat IVDs (intake valve deposits - on the inlet side of the valve), combustion chamber and to a lesser extent injector deposits.

ALL U.S. fuel is required to contain the minimul amount needed to keep the above clean. Back in the early '90s IVDs were a huge concern for the OEMs. The OEMs had to control a/f ratios more closely and more frequently (stay in closed loop sooner and more often) prior to and after 1996 and the advent of OBD-II.

IVDs act like a sponge and soak up some of the fuel from the a/f charge entering the combustion chamber resulting in cold driveaway hesitation/stumbles until the IVDs become saturated.

BMW was the primary OEM driving minimum detergent standards.

Gas stations,, in Wisconsin advertise " NO ETHANOL in our premium"... In the U.S.A.,, there are "rules" and regulations ( I'm NOT UP on all the new rules),, but,, if you're 100 miles or less from a metropolitan area of 1 million or more,, you MUST cut your fuel with 10% ALCOHOL..... Eagle River Wisconsin can sell " non oxygenated fuels" and get away with it.. They usually limit to PREMIUM because of the PRICETAG associated and the PROFIT MARGIN associated with it..

nosboy said:
Another GREAT POST !!!

Well, looky who finally showed up! Good to see you're still kickin'.

Your name has been thrown around a lot lately. All in good fun of course!

Hope you had a great Holiday Gary (pssst, Merry Christmas) and hope 2011 is good to you and your's.

Your Detroit Buddy, John.

Thanks !!! I went up to Rhinelander for Christmas and the trails were FINE !!! I'm going to Munising the week of MLK to enjoy a little RIDING !!! I have a great friend that gets me a deal on staying up there and I just can't beat it !!!

Back