89 ovation start help

Gerv01

Hi everyone I’m new to this site and new to snowmobiling in general.

My question is about my 89 Yamaha ovation with electric start. The sled was given to me not to long ago from a guy I hunt with. It didn’t start when I got it so I put new plugs, cleaned carb as well as the fuel pump, put some new hoses and oil filter on ad put in new gas and new oil.

Good news it started right up, let it warm up, my friend even took it down his street turned around and came back. When he came back I stalled and we weren’t able to get it running again.

I wasn’t able to work on it since, then last night I was tinkering with it because my uncle said it sounded like it was getting too much air. i adjusted the tension on the rubber (don’t’ know technical name of it) between carb and intake. It seems like it was buckling from being too tight. Started right up, warmed up then stalled while I was trying to open garage door so that I didn’t die! Haven’t been able to start it again!

I’ve been reading on the site I’m going to try and adjust the pilot screws, but any other advice?
Why would it start at first then not start again? Could it have something to do with my battery? It’s from my motorcycle and not meant for my sled?

I’m aware some of my question might be dumb but like I said I’m new to this! lol

Thanks for your help

If it was sitting outside for a while, the first thing I would do is check the airbox and exuast for a mouse nest. How old is the gas, new fuel filter? Might have sucked up some crud.

sounds like it might need the pulse line from the fuel pump to the motor replaced. it should be braided gas line instead of clear like the rest of the sled. the clear will collapse and cause what you are dealing with. had similar problem on 1978 et340 and this was it.

Yah checked all up in the air box took it all appart cleaned it all up! Smoke is puffing out teh exaust it did smell a little musty but it all out now! My friend pre mixed some gas and i think he mixed it a little to ritch, how ritch i have no idea!

Adjusted the screws on the sled this evening got it running again and once it was all warmed up shuter down, waited a couple of seconds and it started again! so i'm happy. Now just do make it idle, i was fiddling with the idle screw but even when i wasn't touching the screw it woudl idle hight then low!

When ever i went to go adjust it to rev lower it sounded liek it was about to stall.

I didnt' change the hose from fuel pump to engine. Also i bought a new fuel filter but i'm afraid to take the top off the tank incase i damage it and doesn't go back on!

Last edited:

Back