How many years should we keep the Proaction sleds around?

alswagg

VIP Member
Is it just me or does everyone on the board just love the Proaction sleds? I am talking about this chassie style, not any one model but the entire chassie design. Our sleds are all high milage except the Viper which was bought last season with around 500 miles. My SXR and Wifes SX both have 7,000 miles. All machines run great, I see no reason to replace any of them, even the old 93 Phazer, which is a guest sled. I am sure some day I will replace and buy a double A arm sled but when????
When I was growing up, we never had a snowmobile with anything close to 7k miles, let alone a machine which was 10 years old and dependable. True Yamaha reliabiltiy.
Al

Around here you see way more 10+ year old Yamaha's than other brands.And people are still tricking 'em out and riding alot again testament to there quality.I'd love a newer sled, but for one can't afford it now and secondly I still like my sled and it works great!Mine is closing in on 11,000 miles and put in pistons and rings as maintenance about 8800 miles.

Its way cheaper to keep the older sleds up to date then buying a new sled with it's sets of problems.I am so used to fixing anything that needs fixing on my sleds now,don't want to change now..lol

I keep thinking of trading up... walked into the Yamaha dealer today and there was a blue '11 Nytro XTX right there as you walked in the door, really tempting, $10,400 out the door (once i pull some strings), just cant do it yet. The Viper is still running with a hair over 7000 miles, just got rid of the SRX last weekend with a hair over 10,000 miles... they just keep running...

well here in Canada the prices are way higher.I really wander how sled sales are this season with prices always going up,not good for beginners.I was in a Doo shop a couple of weeks ago buying a new BV2S helmet from them,they had tons of sleds on the salesroom floor and no one looking at them even,and it was an Open House that day...Had to return 1 helmet after 2 days of use on warranty because the seal let go on the visor.What does that tell you about their sleds..lol
With the economy the way it is,doubt many will find buying a new sled as essential.Making your house/car payments comes first.

The reliability is what I am talking about. I do know of older Polaris sleds which also keep running strong, but really no match for the Yamaha's. Look the next time you are out running. Check out all of the older Phazers also. Back when i was growing up we had Mercury snowmobiles. Basically they were know where to be seen by 1985 just 10 years after last production. We are traveling North this weekend, The sleds are loaded, trailer prepped, fueled up, ready to rock. Al

I walkes into the local Yammie dealer here today (to pick up SRX parts) and there was a used 06 Apex gt with about 5500 klms on it for $5500. Tempted to pull the trigger right then and there. But I just can't say goodbye to the SRX and I also cant see myself owning, maintaining and operating 2 sleds. So it looks like I will be on the 2-Stroke side for atleast another year.

Netefrog, You should try owning and maintaning 4 sleds. Every fuel stop, top off every sled with fuel and oil. Every year, pulling and inspecting 4 skids, 4 new belts, 11 new spark plugs,11 carbs to clean, 8 to 10 gallons of oil per year. Yada yada yada. I really do like how we don't have to service througout the year though. Al

alswagg said:
Netefrog, You should try owning and maintaning 4 sleds. Every fuel stop, top off every sled with fuel and oil. Every year, pulling and inspecting 4 skids, 4 new belts, 11 new spark plugs,11 carbs to clean, 8 to 10 gallons of oil per year. Yada yada yada. I really do like how we don't have to service througout the year though. Al

I've got 4 sleds at the cottage, 3 polaris and the 1 yamaha proaction venture. Changing a belt every year is not really required, neither is changing all the plugs or cleaning carbs either. I only pull skids when I need to change shocks. Grease each one up, check and change if necessary the chain case lube, check the idler wheels, change carbides when needed, and oil/ gas them up and go.

The polaris have been VERY reliable, and our old 87 trail has like 15,000 miles on it, and it runs great. On any given weekend where I ride, you will see more older polaris sleds running the trails than any other older sleds.

I really think that Yamaha has some great engineering and build quality, but I certainly would not say that polaris are any less reliable/ less quality than yamahas are. Now start talking about those green sleds and you'll get the bottom basement of quality and engineering.

I will probably keep my 01 for a long time to come, but it would be nice for my old back to get into one of the newer sleds. I'm thinking in 3 or 4 years maybe I can buy a 2011 Vector or something. But I will always keep the old SXR around for a backup.

Ya I'm just getting started into my srx I just did a frame off resoration and rebuilt the motor. I want it to last me another 10 years and 10,000 miles. I wonder what the sled will look like in 10 years?

In the sled garage up north if my Uncle-in-law doesn't have his sled there my 2000 srx is the newest. There's a 95/96 Polaris, an 89 Indy, an early 90's phazer. Plus I have the 89 Ovation back down state. I rode a cousin's 4 stroke last year. It was really nice. I love the srx. I also loved the 96 600xt I had but somehow it wasn't too bad selling it (oh and I made a detour on the way home from dropping it off and picked up the srx, who cares if it was a 300 mile detour.) I don't know if I'll part with the srx but I don't know that it's exactly a sled for a youngster (don't have any but you never know.) Also add to it the price of a new own is outta sight. I like the prices I've seen on some used 4-strokes though....

here are some examples of pricing in Canada on Yamaha sleds for 2011 models.No wander I am keeping my 2 sleds maintained.

Apex X-TX--$17,299
FX NYTRO-TX- $14,399
Apex SE-$17,799
BRAVO-$5299

Tax's extra on them to.Could buy a good truck for that money.... :o|

My wifes '06 Venom has been flawless in the last 4 years. I just do routine maintenance every season then let it go. It only has 6,000 miles on it, and will probably go another 6,000 no problem. My '06 Vector on the other hand, makes me wish sometimes that I had my '01 SXR back. The Vector has never left me stranded, but there is always a bearing to replace, oil tank cracked, exhaust donuts shot twice, front end bushings, stator. Always in my wallet, But still a nice ride. The old Proactions were, and still are hard to beat. The 3 women that ride in our group prefer the way they ride and handle over the new 4 strokes. :2strokes:

WNYViper said:
I keep thinking of trading up... walked into the Yamaha dealer today and there was a blue '11 Nytro XTX right there as you walked in the door, really tempting, $10,400 out the door (once i pull some strings), just cant do it yet. The Viper is still running with a hair over 7000 miles, just got rid of the SRX last weekend with a hair over 10,000 miles... they just keep running...

Right there with ya. Have been vying for the Nytro XTX for some time but I'll tell ya, when I walk through the garage and see the Viper with the new Boss seat and the various mods I have done over the last three years, it's still a head turner and sure performs. Yes the skid sucks but it could be a lot worse not to mention today's Yamaha's are very expensive.

Also, sorry Al (not to hijack your posts) but New York winters suck lately! This year looks like it may be a replica of last year. Flurries are in, snowstorms are out. If we get major precip, it's of the rain variety and then back to cold. Instead of a new sled next year, I may just go with the GMC HD upgrade and run the Viper for a few more. :dunno:

No problem, I suspect My SXR will break the 8,000 mile mark this winter. Really don't see any reason to buy a new sled at this time. Al

I have been maintaining and keeping 5 Yamahas on the trail...15 cylinders, all ported, all piped ect...
-81 440 SRX
-96 VMAX4
-99 600SX
-99 700Sx
-2002 SRX

I am pretty close to buyind a 4 stroke, probably an Apex

Not only are we still running our Pro Action Yamahas, but every new sled that hits the snow always wants a run at our SRXs...LOL!...its a heavy load to carry...BRING IT ON!!!

Bob

I just got both my vipers last year and plan on having them for a long time to come. I have been through every nook and crany on them things so i know im good to go. My 04 might get some rings this offseason as ill be over 5000 but we will see. The 02's good to go for a while yet (wifes) and my daughter rides the 96xt. I gave everybody e start this year so dad's not pulling for the wife and daughter this year LOL. Ill be riding these for some time to come. For what we do 4 strokes are a bit out of my price range yet. I would like an attak 136 which are getting close to my $ but not yet. I want to 136 my viper for sure so we will see. CCC

super1c said:
I gave everybody e start this year so dad's not pulling for the wife and daughter this year LOL.

LMFAO!!!

I love my blue smoke and think a Viper is next...... and just this week I have been thinking the XTC is complete....... except the electric start 'cause the wife will be taking it over when I get the Viper!!!

I just haven't figured out how to convince her that parts for "her sled" that I currently ride are for her!!!

thstorms said:
LMFAO!!!

I love my blue smoke and think a Viper is next...... and just this week I have been thinking the XTC is complete....... except the electric start 'cause the wife will be taking it over when I get the Viper!!!

I just haven't figured out how to convince her that parts for "her sled" that I currently ride are for her!!!

One ride and i quarantee that she will want the e start, and you for sure. Now the wife wants reverse!!!! CCC

Last edited:

Back