Hooks and hand warmers

super1c

Super Moderator
Noticed today on the first ride of the season my hand warmers are not as hot as last year. I did install bar hooks, the plastic sport tec ones. While i was at it i put on new grips as my old ones were wore smooth. Did a search but no real luck. These were not supposed to rob heat from warmers. Is thier anything i can do to help these out. Checked wiring, Ok. I was thinking maybe some reflective heat tape between bars and grips? Any other ideas or thoughts as to why they dont get very hot. CCC

I have used heat shrink tubing top try isolate the heaters from the metal bars. I've heard of also using a thin layer of cork as well. Did you replace them with OEM or aftermarket?

Oem grips. I saw that about heat shrink from BTV. What do you think about the foil tape for duct work? I was also thinking maybe to cover the hooks with some bike grips or tape. They hang out in the cold absorbing it so maybe the grips are fighting that now also. What ya think. CCC

I noticed that I had to turn my grip heaters up a little more when I installed bar hooks on my SX. I think tennis racket grip tape would be the best way to insulate bar hooks and not lose grip but as far as the aluminum duct tape goes, I dont think that would work so well. You would basically be trying to insulate metal with more metal (granted aluminum takes on and dissipates heat quickly). I think the heat shrink tubing is the way to go.

super1c said:
What do you think about the foil tape for duct work? CCC

Foil tape is metalized?? I don't think that has any type of insulating or isolation properties. Its reflective so it may help. :dunno:

Unless your are talking duct tape. That fix's everything :D:DP

SX700triple said:
I noticed that I had to turn my grip heaters up a little more when I installed bar hooks on my SX. I think tennis racket grip tape would be the best way to insulate bar hooks and not lose grip but as far as the aluminum duct tape goes, I dont think that would work so well. You would basically be trying to insulate metal with more metal (granted aluminum takes on and dissipates heat quickly). I think the heat shrink tubing is the way to go.

Thanks for the tennis racked grip tape idea. Did this and they are as hot as they used to be. Only had to run them at half for most of that ride. ;)! CCC

Back