How to bleed oil pump for Dumbies ?

richierich

Website
www.richmotorsports.com
Maybe its been just a long day or i'm dumb.I have this 1988 XLV that previous owner started it on fire.So it burnt oil lines etc.So i replaced them and the oil filter.I got it running but theres no oil coming past the oil filter.The one small line coming out of pump started to creep oil but the supply line to it is empty so that stopped.I did drain gas and pour in some pre-mix just incase it took awhile to get lines filled.What am i missing before i take oil filter off and have a mess.I even tried blowing air into oil tank to push it along but nothing.Thanks

sounds like pump is airlocked im not sure if there is a bleed screw on your pump (screw with seal/gasket) how bad did it burn could have pluged nipples or to fine a filter? is oil pump drive turning?

Pump is working and i couldnt find a bleed screw but i removed oil cable and have been running it while pulling it open with pre-mix in tank just to be safe.Oil is slowing climbing to tank return.Probably another 6 inches to go.Next time i'll pre-fill lines i guess lol.Thanks for the reply though.

That's what I was going to say. I always prefill the oil lines before assembly.

If you have oil in the gas you could start it. It should flow pretty quickly once it fires for the first time. Assuming all else if functioning properly.

Back