registering in IL

Don B.

OK I have a couple snowmobiles here that I am getting going; 1 Yamaha and 1 not; I have nothing as far as registration/title etc on either;
the Yamaha was last registered in 1987 (that's when the sticker expired anyway)
the Skidoo's newest sticker expired in like '00. I gotta get that running 1st, before going thru the headache on "it";
Can I call somebody with the last state assigned ID numbers and find out who owned them???
Would that even be necessary?
I can get a bill of sale for both of them but no title, old registration card etc; can I register them? I have the worst luck with cops, they hang me to the fullest for the petty-est of BS; I'm one of those that gets "nailed" for damn near anything; seat belt? no front license plate? Yup. speeding 5 over? been there done that. never a break; hung and fined to the max every chance they get.
I also have a utility trailer here (former camper) that I completely cut apart cut down and rebuilt from scratch; I have too much in time and material to bail on it now; IL made titling a "home made" trailer a MAJOR PITA starting in '10 as compared to before. have to take it to them for an inspection 100 miles away for them to affix an ID tag before it can be titled/registered and tehrefore legally used. I hope the process of registering a snowmobile isnt as strung with red tape as that is......

no but they can be had. That said the people I got these from, are NOT the last people to have legally registered them.
I got the Skidoo and the 340 Enticer from my brother; HE got them paperwork-less, about 8 years ago from I don't know who. but they have sat in the same place unused since the day my brother hauled them. This 340 is being relegated to a true parts mobile, so no paperwork needed/wanted for that one;
the 300 Enticer I bought via CL yesterday and this guy got it from "somebody else" as a parts sled for his 300 Enticer; but its nicer than my brothers, which I needed the parts for to start off with; so my brother's is now "parts" instead. I can get my brother to give me a B.O.S. for the Skidoo alright, and I'm sure I can contact the seller of the 300 and get something from him, but will that be valid and "acceptable" to the State, being that these people never registered them either? I do have a copy of the CL ad that I found the 300 through. I doubt it but would "that" mean anyting to the IL DNR?

Last edited:
bluemonster1 said:
you'll need that prior to registering don't you....Last owners name,serial numbers and mileage and date should do it for you..
even though the last (known-to-me anyway) owners never registered the sleds? if so that will be "easy".
I appreciate the input , bluemonster; and I hope what you say is correct. but I see youre in Canada let alone a different state; I was hoping someone in IL that has been thru this would see my post and respond.

Last edited:
fill out the paper work from il dnr website send it in with your money they will check the #s and if all is ok they will send u stickers & new card

As long as you can give them the engine ID and the chassis ID numbers on the signed bill of sale you can go either to the IL DNR website for the paperwork to fill out and send in or you can possibly go to a currency exchange of something of the like to complete the forms. There's a fellow here locally that I have dealt with for the past few years in my hometown that handles the registrations and what not. Remember, as of this April, all sleds in IL will be required to have proof of liability insurance and registration, the copies of the "sent in" paperwork will not fly. NO EXCEPTIONS. The reason I am spreading the word is so that others can spread the word if I get clipped by some free loader on the trail they are not going to be happy walking home after I take their busted sled to peddle off to buy parts to fix mine.

Back