2001 Yamaha Phazer?? Carb adjustment?

Wictor

Too much white smoke when sled is running, how do i adjust the oil intake? Thanks for any info!

First make sure the cable housing is seated in the cable adjuster on the carbs. This is the cable that goes from the carb to the oil pump. This is a common problem where the cable housing gets out of the seat and causes the oil pump to be full rich all the time.

Second check adjustment by pulling the cable housing out of the adjuster and measuring the gap between the end of the housing and the cable adjuster on the carb rack. Stock gap was 18mm - 20mm. More gap will cause the oil pump to ramp up the oil mixture later in the throttle pull range. Actual oil ratio at idle and full throttle will stay the same (as long as the adjustment is within reason).

Third you may want to consider changing oil to one that smokes less. There are many high quality oils available. This topic often stirs the debates of all debates.

Another thing I recommend is to check the overall "health" of the engine. Start by checking plugs paying very close attention to color and carbon. Then check piston wash, and then compression.

There is more info on all of this in the Tech Pages. It is also good to arm yourself with a Service Manual specific to your model. You should be able to get an electronic version very reasonably.

Good luck and Welcome to the site!!!

Thank you very much for your response, just to clarify, when I pull out the cable housing, do I just pull up and measure the gap between the housing and adjuster??? Thank you once again!!!! I will check out the tech pages!! thanks

Back