4 stoke weight. just from the engine?

staggs65

anyone know. is all the extra weight of the 4-strokes from the engine alone. or is the chassis heavier than a 700 tripple chassis.

the reason i ask is i was curious about what it would be like to put a powervalved tripple into a newer chassis (lets say apex, for the sake of discussion). would you be about the same weight as a srx with the the modern suspension. not looking to get into the feasability of actually doing it. just curious about the weight

staggs65 said:
anyone know. is all the extra weight of the 4-strokes from the engine alone. or is the chassis heavier than a 700 tripple chassis.

the reason i ask is i was curious about what it would be like to put a powervalved tripple into a newer chassis (lets say apex, for the sake of discussion). would you be about the same weight as a srx with the the modern suspension. not looking to get into the feasability of actually doing it. just curious about the weight

The engines are a bit heavier so if you abortioned in a 2smoke triple you would definitely lighten it up. Keep in mind though that these chassis' have been designed for this weight and changing that weight dramatically like that could have a poor effect on the handling of the chassis.

I shipped a few four strokes, 150lbs bare, no carbs, starter manifolds etc. just a cut down 2x3 palet with a motor strapped to it. I have also shipped a complete 700 tripple sx motor with all wiring, carbs, airbox, and exaust, everything to make it run on a 2/3 pallet and it weighed under that.
The four strok also has alot of weight in the stupid way yamaha makes their exhaust, way overbuilt and all the stuff that goes with holding it up in the rear, th at is why most guys in the mountains just dump the exhaust and close off the tunnel, huge weight savings.
that being said, why would you want a two stroke? you must not have riden a four for any length of time.

not that i dont want a four stroke or only want a two stroke. i actually have no intention of trying this. just keyboard engineering. i'm not one of the four stroke haters. i like em actually.

yea, i think it would be one heck of a challenge trying to stuff a tripple like the viper in a new nitro. it would be a fun project though.

Back