'79 Enticer 250 Fuel Filling Cylinder

averagesleder

My dad was riding his Enticer yesterday and it started to run poor, he came to a stop and the sled stalled out, we couldn't get it to run again.

It sat all day in the garage and during this time the fuel ran from the carb and into the exhaust pipe. The cylinder was filled with fuel. We did siphon the fuel from tank and pulled the engine over to clear out the cylinder. I'm planning on removing the carb tomorrow night. So what would cause this a stuck float or a rotted out seal of some sort?

Thanks Matt

I'm having the same problem.. Mine flooded even with the fuel shut off so I drained the tank and the filter was disintegrating and it looked like chunks of it were getting into the carb and shutoff. I had to take apart the shutoff and clean it all out. I know that doesn't help a whole lot since it's not the fuel shutoff its the carb. In my case, I'm not going to screw with the keihin. I bought a 34mm mikuni vm that I'm going to swap out the keihin for. I guess there's a chance that the fuel filter chunks are holding the fuel needle open and because so much of the tank is above the carb gravity just lets it flow right in.. Not really sure tho. Oh and the keihins on these aren't float style they are diaphragm style.. Could be a hole in the diaphragm maybe? I guess they are hard to find parts for? Good luck hopefully you can figure it out or someone else can help.. And if you do figure it out on your own PLEASE feel free to share with me

-Josh

Oh yeah one more thing... do NOT try to run the fuel out of the cylinder with the carb off.. will run WOT haha

hows the needle and seats in the carb? or is it a diaphram carb, fuel pump diaphrams go bad also doing the same thjing.

The fuel filter comes apart in them when they get old. the filter is attached to the bottom of the fuel tank where the gas line goes on spin it off and you will see the filter if anything is left make sure to take the gasket out of the old one and put it with the new filter or it wont seal.You may have to flush the lines and clean the carb if parts of the filter made it way through. hope that helps. Happened to my sons.
Ps filter # 8R4-24560-00-00

i cannot tell you whitch model carb is is because they used 2 different ones. the one i have is the odball one as i got a kit for the common one and it did not fit. and yes it does come in the kit.

my carb (the original Keihn) spewed fuel out of bell and and also into the head - would leak fuel from the exhaust port too. replaced it with a round slide 34mm mikuni carb. starts second pull every time no matter how cold.

Last edited:
Crazy Axe said:
I'm having the same problem.. Mine flooded even with the fuel shut off so I drained the tank and the filter was disintegrating and it looked like chunks of it were getting into the carb and shutoff. I had to take apart the shutoff and clean it all out. I know that doesn't help a whole lot since it's not the fuel shutoff its the carb. In my case, I'm not going to screw with the keihin. I bought a 34mm mikuni vm that I'm going to swap out the keihin for. I guess there's a chance that the fuel filter chunks are holding the fuel needle open and because so much of the tank is above the carb gravity just lets it flow right in.. Not really sure tho. Oh and the keihins on these aren't float style they are diaphragm style.. Could be a hole in the diaphragm maybe? I guess they are hard to find parts for? Good luck hopefully you can figure it out or someone else can help.. And if you do figure it out on your own PLEASE feel free to share with me

-Josh

Good post Josh

I've had this same issue on older Yammies that have been sitting for a while. The filter particals can reak havoc with your fuel system and cause all kinds of problems. These problems will show up when you're out riding and are not easy to find when working in the cold on a trail. Standard O.P. for me is to check the filter and change if nessessary, then do a good cleaning of the fuel system.

opsled

Well, I finally got time to take the carb off. The carb is made by keihin. What model would it be?
Should I be able to get a rebuild kit from the dealer? I also need a carb boot as well.

Thanks Matt

Carb boot will be a tough one. Probably Ebay.

The Keihin is not a fan favorite.

I just fixed my 250 with the same problem.
1) I ordered a New Needle and Seat Yamaha Part Number 838-14546-00
2) I removed the site tube on the side of the car.

I will post a picture of the parts in a few minutes.

That fixed mine!

Back