Secondary problem

gooblio

Yesterday pulled the carbs off cleaned them, I was having some problems with a sputter in the mid to high end.

I happen to check the secondary and I have no spring load I could open the secoundary with two fingers.

How much preload should be on a secondary on my 97 SXVmax?

And thanks Turk it was the jetting being fat that was causing most of my problems. I think she was just loaded up because I went out for a ride after cleaning the carbs and the same thing was happening for about a half mile then bang it was like turning on a light switch ye ha. Rocket ship and I'm coming to a cross road looking for the brake. While I'm talking about brakes I'm impressed a lot better than any do do I had. :rockon:

Allways tighten the secondary in a clockwise position.

How many degrees of preload?

Well I took the cover off and put about 80 degrees of preload on the spring, but I think it's still light.

I'm in hole 0, but when I took the cover off there was no load on the spring at all, I'm not sure if it didn't jump out of a hole on other half of the secondary because there's 3 holes it can go in there and then there is holes 0,3,6,and 9 on the cover.

And yes the spring is in the right way. It's working,but I was trying to find out what the factory setting should be.

My manual just says before when you take it apart note which holes the spring is in and use the same ones.

I'm sure I don't have enough preload on it because my buddies Viper you need both hand just to move it and mine opens easy all the way and his you can only move it a little, but I don't want to set it two tight and with it too loose I'm losing acceleration. :o|

Your spring is probably sacked out. $20 buys a new one.

Very possible that it could be 6000miles on the old girl.

I'll buy a new one, but does anyone know how much preload should be on it?

If I knew that I could tell if it was sacked or just needed the proper preload.

Thanks Watersuper,

Sounds like the spring is sacked, I'll pick up a new one.

Thanks again ;)!

LaLaLa

Back