oh, my GOD; dealer oughtta be arrested for highway robbery

Don B.

I went to the only Yamaha dealer I know of today within 60 miles, to order a few pieces for my 80 340 Enticer carb..... I wanted a needle and seat, (O ring is "Seperate"? W T F?) and they wanted (I forget which) ; either $34 or $42 for it.... Forget that! Bowl gasket? $13! Starter plunger? $16-something... those 2 items (which had to be "ordered) set me back $33 with taxes and such. How in the He!! can they sleep at night??? I don't see how they stay in business selling parts.

Now I had found a couple places online that dealt in these parts before I had this carb apart; now that I know what I need, and actually went to order them I could not find these places again. I remember teh parts being like half that online (but again; could not find the 2nd time I looked)
I'd liked to have put a float and new jets in there but not at that cost; I'll junk this sled before I pay what they wanted for these other parts.

that is how they make money during the winter months when it is slower for them..there are lots of sites that will sell OEM at nearly half the prices...Do a search on here.....

Please review the "items" in your shopping cart. Clicking on the "Delete" button located to the right of each item will remove that product from your shopping cart. Clicking the "Remove All" button will delete all the items from your shopping cart. Clicking the "Checkout" button will transfer you to a secured environment to complete the purchase of the items in your shopping cart.
MFG ITEM QTY PRICE TOTAL

YAMAHA GASKET,FLOAT CHMBR for 1979 YAMAHA ET 340
8G8-14184-00-00
$9.28 $9.28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YAMAHA WASHER,NEEDLE VLV for 1979 YAMAHA ET 340
239-14195-00-00
$9.82 $9.82

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YAMAHA NEEDLE VALVE ASY for 1979 YAMAHA ET 340
8H5-14190-15-00
$15.38 $15.38

Total: $34.48

I could not find a listing for an "80" 340 but closest was for a 79 These are from my yamaha supplier, which is a great dealer by the way.

Yeah it gets pretty ridiculous. Last week I ordered a new grip for 25 which wasn't bad as a used one on eBay was up to that much. However they want 3.50 for a single rivot. Good thing I had a whole bag of them from another project.

My local northwoods yamaha dealer sells genuine yamaha slides for my 97 venture for 13.00 each. Considering I don't have to trim them or monkey with non oem ones, that's not a bad deal at all.

I have a feeling more dealers in areas that don't see too much sled trail traffic probably jack prices up more than others in areas where snowmobilers actually ride.

im a machanic at a yamaha dealer and alot of the older oem yamaha parts are high price. the prices are set from yamaha not us. we usualy give 10% off. we cant give it away, we have to be able to keep the doors open. dont blame us, blame yamaha. and if you want cheaper look in to after market.

I'm not taking any sides here------
What I am running into is that some/many on-line sites say a part is "IN STOCK" and it really isn't .
Sometimes parts for my sled, Husky saw, or motorcycles take the best part of two weeks to get.
The Husky or Yammi dealers are a bit more cash, but usually I get my stuff is three/four days.
And get this--the Husky/Massy Furgerson dealer charges ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE dollars per hour for service work.

Went shopping for a 25 tooth gear for my Doo renegade. First dealer: $135..Second dealer: $40........You have to be careful who you shop with.

I'm switching windshields on my 97 SX700. I thought I'd stop in at a Yamaha dealer and get the OEM 2 front "darts" for a better look. They are each 2 parts; a small screw and a plastic "seat" on the backside. Total price for 2? $10.00!?! For that, I'll find 2 nuts and bolts off my workbench...

Remember when Polaris had those little plastic darts for their windshields? I miss those!

Hey, blue, no snow, no money, and no work. This winter sucks. I have a couple jobs lined up but that is it. It seems like people are waiting until the weather breaks. I just need to make it through a couple more months. Al

hey..I am not working either,money slowly running down and yet I keep spending $ on my sleds... :o| Lots of snow here,got 8 inches last weekend and another 4 inches coming by this weekend..but it has been to friggin cold here to go riding..I don't enjoy riding in -35 to -40 windchill temps either..going crazy sitting here all day to...

We got Ice last night, 1/4" on everything, I do need to get the Vipers trailing arm replaced, but my SXR is ready. I will probably go for another big ride yet this winter. Schools out today, so my son is home and driving me nuts lol Al

Zachalyse said:
Went shopping for a 25 tooth gear for my Doo renegade. First dealer: $135..Second dealer: $40........You have to be careful who you shop with.
there are exactly 2 Yamaha dealers that I know of, between Chicago and Champaign IL; a roughly 120-mile stretch; the one in Joliet I went to, and one a bout 10-15 miles across the Stateline in Merrrilville IN; Joliet is 40 miles away from me, and in the same town in which I go to school (yeah, 43 and back in school fulltime) Merrilville is 50 miles in a direction that I go maybe twice a year, neither during snowmobile season....

Back