chain case lower bearing...removal!

mountainmax700

I need to remove my lower drive-shaft bearing. It was destroy because my oil gasket had a missing chunk of rubber. So not enough oil, you probably know what happened.
How hard it is to remove it ? I already open the chain case, remove sprockets... Last thing will be to remove the circlip and there you go? Should i loose my track to remove the tension on it to align the driveshaft or remove the other part of the chain case. Where should I Start?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff.

loosen the track to take tension off the driveshaft and the back half of the case or housing needs to come off.

the bearing is more or less pressed in and needs a bit of force to remove. a bearing hat and press makes easy work of it although good results can be had with the right sized blunt object and a hammer, taking care not to damage the housing.

Not sure if you're planning to order from Yamaha or not, but you can probably get it faster/cheaper from a local bearing shop. That's a standard size that they probably have in stock.

You also need to remove the brake caliper and half of the parking brake pad. I took 2 minutes to remove the bearing with a punch because mine had just the outer ring left. Not a big job if you know a little bit what you' re doing.

Thanks anyway for all the answers.

Make sure you install the bearing so that the seal faces the inside of the chaincase. The seal allows enough oil into the bearing but keeps out the large metallic debris which will destroy the bearing.

Back