Oval Racing '98 SRX600

montynormand

This year I moved from the vintage racers to my "new" '98 SRX600. I am racing in the '98 and older Sportsman 600cc class with ORA (Oval Racers Alliance) here in Minnesota. 1st weekend out I took a 4th in the Sunday Final; 2nd weekend out I took 3rd; and lastweekend I took 2nd overall. There is still work to be done as my final RPM are a little high yet, and the chassis roll is horriable! But I have a plan, and am not racing next weekend, so ITS SHOP TIME!!!!!!!
Here's a few picture from the last event. She's strong and fast, but a bit loose yet!

Attachments

• DSCN0263.JPG
    DSCN0263.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 26
  • loose 1.jpg
    loose 1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 35
  • sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Thanks Tony.... I'm having a blast with it. The handling is my main focus right now, but after that I need to focus on the upshift. I know this thing can be quicker than it is right now

2ooosrx said:
Look's good Monty.....Can you use after market sway bar???

Bruce

Yes I can Bruce. I will likely give you a call in the spring and have you build me something that is much stiffer than this wimpy stock swaybar! This was our first race on a flat lake track. The Iowa and ND races were on highly banked stock car tracks, and the chassis roll was not as severe. We have 4 races left for the season. Two more lake races and 2 more stock car tracks.

Rules:
7. FRONT SUSPENSION; Stock OEM for model. Springs, shocks, sway bar link, radius rods, and tie rods may be changed but must fasten to stock locations on bulkhead/tunnel. Trailing arms-OEM for model, this may be modified to accept shocks, sway bar links and rear perch. Front suspension must retain a minimum of 2.5” of travel with driver seated.

8. REAR SUSPESION - OEM for model components, except springs, shocks, limiters. Components may be moved, removed, relocated

Monty

2ooosrx said:
Look's good Monty.....Bruce

It does not look so good right now. I put it in the bales Sunday afternoon in the second heat race. Tried taking the leader on the outside coming out of #4. Inside Ski high sided quite a bit. When I got out of the gas and set it back down, she caught and sent me right into the bales down the front stretch. I'm OK - sore and bruised, sled only has cosmetic issues - tore up the windshield and gauge pod - broke my tach - and tweaked the hood some. No chassis issues, and i was able to get back on the horse and placed 2nd in the final!

Monty

Last edited:
Stock based class that does not allow engine mods. Heads are shaved and the motor is 100% Stock. Every bearing in the motor has been replaced. Stock carbs and airbox.
Nothing exciting...... its a real tuners class - not a high buck builder/mod class

The 600cc SRX was built for one reason,to race agaist the ZRT600 and formulaIII ski-doo in oval racing. The rules were changed before the sled hit the track that season(1998),great to see it doing what it was design for.

Great to see somebody runnin a srx in this class. If I could ask how expensive is it to get a sled set up for this class? I was at Amherst and Eagle river and sportsman 600 looks appealing.

monty-

easiest way to get rid of body roll is to get a set of piggy back ohlins for the front (they came stock on some models so within the rules)
also like you said look into a chromeoly sway bar Ill try to find some pics of my sled that is now my trail sled but still has all the cool go fast parts on it
Best oval sled i have been on to date placed top 10 at the soo i500 4 years and u r right there is a ton in them in stock form
if you have any questions let me know

Sled tore down to start trail build

Picturefromwilliamscomputer098.jpg

Last time at the soo i500 in 2003
Picturefromwilliamscomputer006.jpg

let me know if you have any questions I would love to help you out in any way i can

P1000662.jpg

this is now in trail form but I still have the big sway bar in u can just barely see it if you need more pics let me know
I still have our full 600 one off race motor that maybe going back in in the fall to go play with again as I get ready to run at the soo again!!!!

I do have a set of Ohlins on this SRX. - I stole them off my wifes SX trail sled - she wont miss them! I have the dampening adjusted as slow as it will go. That is helping, but now I need to focus on a heaver spring and better sway bar.
The Sportsman 600 is a fun class. We have all brands showing up as well. Its a pretty cheap class as it is really a "stock based class" with no engine mods, and only limited chassis mods.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add one last pic of my '98 from this season. Not to shabby for my first year on this girl, I took 2nd overall in our series of 7 events.
Getting the body roll out of the front, and getting the skid to stick in the rear will be my summer focus!

Attachments

• Ogilvie ORA US NATIONALS reduced.014.JPG
    Ogilvie ORA US NATIONALS reduced.014.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 9
billbies said:
P1000662.jpg

this is now in trail form but I still have the big sway bar in u can just barely see it if you need more pics let me know
I still have our full 600 one off race motor that maybe going back in in the fall to go play with again as I get ready to run at the soo again!!!!

I see you have heim joints and aluminum radius rods on your sled. How does this work out for trail use? I am thinking about doing the same on my 98 700.

Works phenominal in the trail this setup was used at the I500 which after lap 350 is the biggest bump fastest trail ride you can imagine I dont know how many 2ft whoops this sled has hit and landed at 100mph it does lighten up the front also for steering effort just a touch too
I think the only way I am aware to run the heims on your trailing arms is to have a custom set or aftermarket set (dont know if they are stil made) I guess with some good planning and fab skills you could make stock work but stock ones should then be reinforced with chromeoly on the inside for strength

Back