1981 SRX 440/v-max 540 bottom end the same??

SRX540

Ive had previous debates on this with people because i hear something different from everyone that knows about these sleds...I had a v-max 540 bottom end on 81SRX top end but cant try it now because i didnt notice the crank was bent. I have the 440 bottom end but i didnt wanna use it for restoration purposes. I have heard that the two bottom ends have the same internal mass and internally are the same, also have heard the opposite. Going to just put together the 440 bottom end i got i think now.

they are really close. i know the crank has a different taper for the clutch and maby another bearing. i rember reading something about this and always thought the 540 bottom with the 440 top would be the best combonation. try vintagevmax.com

I ran my 1981 440 SRX with the 440 cylinders and head on a 1983 VMAX 540 bottom end for a few years...I eventually just built a mod 540 for this sled that is still in it.

Bob

The cranks & cases are different from the 440 to the 540. The 540's have larger main bearing, and the cases are made to except the larger bearings, also the 540's have two ports for the pulse lines for the fuel pumps were as the 440's have only one, with that being said the pistons and cylinders WILL interchange so you can use the 540 bottom end with the 440 top end and vise versa. I have never measured the crankcase volume my self to see if one is larger, but I have heard the 540's are larger, and I have also heard they are the same. so I really can't say for sure. Maybe some day I will have to check it out..

Back