'01 Sx7r

yamaholic22

Tom, what do you usually get for mileage with your SXR with the simons and tempaflow? Last weekend was my first time out with all of the new mods and i was only getting 10mpg at best. Sled ran real good, but that mileage sucks compared to what it was. My '97 SX 700 with aaen's would never get less than 15, and it was nice and safe on the jetting as well. I am one clip richer on each one of the needles than what jeff recommends because of the tempaflow (usually have to jet a little richer with tempaflow than you would without), but i think i am going to go down to his recommendation and see how much better it is. I dont want to melt it down but my polaris and arctic cat buddies are going to be getting better mileage than me, and we can't be having that. ;)!

man ..15 ! that is awesome ..i have never gotten better than 13 on my piped sx. What do you have to do to get that kinda millage? I know a half adozen guys with sx's and not one of them get 15 to the gallon! What r we doin that makes that much difference.Or should i say what r you doin to make that much difference? Maybe its elevation. One guy on here even went so far as to say that his sxr got as good as milage as his dads rx-1!! Id like some of what he is smokin!

you know that '97 only got about 12 or 13 until i clutched it with a polaris primary. Last year it would CONSISTENLY get 15, and it hauled *** on top end with that primary. I know you should be able to set up the yamaha primary to do the same, but so far i haven't had as much luck for top speed with the yamaha primaries as i've had with the polaris primary. So i'm guessing that the great mileage on that thing is just due to the very aggressive clutching. You only have to be 1/4 throttle to be doing 70. Its not lean by any means

quote "So i'm guessing that the great mileage on that thing is just due to the very aggressive clutching. You only have to be 1/4 throttle to be doing 70." quote

what do you mean by very agressive clutching?....

there are times when this is desireable, for long well behaved rides..

thanks...

I am getting about 12 MPG...depending...I have seen days with 10 mpg....I really thing that Temp flow did nothing for the gas mileage.

I thought it was just the mains that needed to be jetted richer for the tempaflow. I don't have one though so I don't know if the needles need to be raised also. The needles will affect your mileage more than anything because that's what meters the fuel use for most of the throttle range you ride in 90 percent of the time.

I have the same sled with a Temp a Flow. I use stock jetting with the needle lowered 1/2. I get 12 - 14 mpg and have ridden safely @ -30f. Lower your needles.

I am not 100% sure of what my final jetting is....and the needle postitions..Mine will be slightly different due to my posting so maybe I am not a good comparison but poor clutching will kill the mileage too.

well you know i run the Tempaflow as well, and the same pipes, even ceramic coated. Kind of weird that we have a lot of the same stuff. Now if i could just get my hands on your ohlins, lol. But yea that is why i was comparing with you, our setups are REAL similar. My clutching is about spot on. I run the 8CA's with 14.5mm rollers, stock primary spring, stock secondary spring with a 44/36. Seems to work great. Hauls the mail up to about 80, then keeps on climbing right up to about 105 on speedo, hanging right at 8900 or 9000 the whole way through. I think i'm going to drop all of my needles to jeff's specs, and see where it is. Its nice and rich right now even with the tempaflow at 1/4 turn counterclockwise, so i must have plenty of safety margin.

no i'm not in the throttle too much at all going down the trail, but I know that when i drop all three needles to jeff's specs it should help a lot, because one notch on each one is a big difference, and i am a little too rich right now, so that's my next move

Back