Kawasaki Intruder 440 HELP?!?...

killerklown

I know it's not a Yamaha, but it's also not mine.

My girlfriends boss has a 79 Intruder 440 he wants me to get running right. Spent the last 2 years in a area shop getting "rebuilt", pistons, seals, carbs, etc.
He finally got it back this year, $650 bill !!!, and it sounds like he didn't make it very far. He said it was running OK, but when he went to restart it, and it wouldn't, he noticed gas coming out the exhaust manifold... He's pretty sure the crankcase is full too.
You think it could be as simple as needle/seat, or just needed a fuel shut -off installed???
Trying to score some brownie points for my lady friend, but I pretty much only worked on Yamahas, and Ski-Doo's for sleds.
I have all the Kawi manuals coming with sled, just thought one of you vintage masters may have some useful info for me to get ahead of the game...

I thought maybe fuel pump? I wonder if there is anything special about these pumps, or if I could just grab a regular Mikuni 4 lined pump?

Intruder was a TA440C or D piston port engine. Should be twin 36mm Mics. Invaders had a PJ system like the old SRX's but without the main adjuster. Intruders may have PJ too but I don't remember for sure. They are a lot like working on an old SRX and the same principals will apply. Needle/seat or fuel pump diaphram will be the likely cause. Treat them like any other Mic but use Kawi setting from the book. If they are PJ carbs the air box will be critical to there working properly. PJ's are also very sensitive to the line size that comes from the bowl to feed the PJ. If the line is to large (ID) they won't draw right if at all. I've seen many burned up engines with PJ carbs because of this. If you put new line on one make sure it is the right stuff.

Thy these guys for good info. http://kawasakitrax.com/

Good Luck, opsled

Last edited:
I worked on one of these back in the day that a friend of mine had. Fan cooled, single pipe, power jetted VM32s.[I hate power jet carbs] We caught that puppy on fire in his attached garage...LOL...pretty exciting for a moment or two!

I would go along with the suggestion of rebuilding/replacing the fuel pump and replacing the float needle/seat and cleaning up the carbs...should be good to go then.

no airbox, it has like the aluminum velicity stacks, I think they were called. Liked megaphone looking things.

If it has the PJ carbs like Bob says and no air box you will be in for some trouble tuning. Stock setting probably won't get it done. Might be lean on top even with velocity stacks. Those PJ carbs are side inlet and far enough away from the venturi that the air box vacume plays big into how they work. Center delivery PJ carbs don't have this problem.

Go to http://kawasakitrax.com/ , join and ask. There are some very good heads over there and they have been all over the carb/PJ issues on Kawis. Should be able to get some solid answers there.

opsled

Started looking at it today. Lots of gas in motor. Hit the ceiling when I pulled it over!!!
Certainly makes me think fuel pump>?>
I notoce the arrows on the top of pump are 180 degees off compared to bottom of pump.
How do I find out if this is even the right pump? I can't find a number on the pump itself, just a 79T , 3S , and 4S.

Back