How do you replace a front heat exchanger?

battjke

I managed to throw a stud right through the front heat exchanger. What are the steps to replace this? It appears that the track needs to be pulled as well as the engine and grind away several rivets. Is this as it appears? Is there an alternative to replacing it? It has a hole about 3/8" in diameter.

you can most likely get it welded right on the machine. Try that before JB weld, just find someone who knows how to aluminum weld

the proper way is to pull skid track motor steering column, then drill out the rivets, throw a hydraulic spreader in the tunnel, spread it then it SHOULD fall out, but will likely be siezed to the top of the tunnel and you'll have to use a wedge to split it.

it's a bitch of a job

Weld it or bypass it. I lost mine a couple years ago in Jan in the Huron Mountains. Two copper pipe elbows soldered together, a piece of hose, two hose clamps, one hour of labor, bypassed it and was up and running. Ran it the rest of the season that way and never overheated once. Insurance covered the cost when I got it fix at the end of the season, but a rock took mine out, not a stud. Good luck!!!

I am in the process of replacing mine right now.

f5f628f7.jpg

:o|

Listen to JUNIOR! I also had to do the same. Even my dealer did not know how to do it. I tried to weld it right on the machine but the chambers in the exchanger will be messed up if you try to weld. It is a big job but it is the only way to do it right! I have over 11,500kms now on my '97 SX700 and hope to add lots more even though I am riding a Warrior!

Back