small clutching issue

ridesrx

Here is my setup-2000 SX600r, stock motor with 8AB weights, 2.4grams in middle hole, tip is empty, stock springs, secondary wound to 80 with 51\43 Hauck helix.
It pulls fine right to 8400rpms. The only problem is a flat spot from 5000-7000rpms. I only notice this when getting back into the gas from a corner or something I had to slow down for, and then speed up again. I didn't notice it from a dead stop WFO run.
It started to get really annoying after a while on the trail. Is this just something this motor does? Or should it make power all the way through?
The clutches have just been removed and cleaned when I put in the weights. I wish I could remember if it did this last year with the stock setup, but I can't.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yes it definately sounds you need some more spring in that secondary to get it to backshift. If you have the red try the green, if you have the green try the silver, wound to about 80*

Same issue I had with mine, a green secondary wound 60* fixed it! Rides like a dirt bike now, pinning the throttle at 40-50mph actually kicks ya in the butt now.

thanks guys

Man, what a relief. I'll go and get a green sec. spring.

Mr. Sled- I was hoping to get you to ride it in Houghton last weekend, but you were pretty busy on Saturday. I wanted your opinion on the clutching, as I'm not totally sure how a good running 600 should feel. It runs at 8400 right now with the tip empty. Should I try that primary that you suggested? Or just go for the green sec. spring instead of the red I have now? It makes sence that a stronger(green) sec. spring would help it backshift better. Hopefully that will cure it.

Thanks for all the input guys. :rocks: :rockon:

Last edited:
you could have taken it for a rip...I was letting others bash on it.....you should see it now...all Alum front on it from CB Performance.

some testing results

Well, I got the green spring. I put it in at 70 and it didn't seem like it helped much. So I went to 80, rode it about 10 miles and the backshift is better. But now I can only get it to rev to 8000-8100 rpms. Now I'm stumped. Before with the red spring at 80 it ran 8400-8500 all the time. Why would this green spring lower my max rpm soo much? Could it be the belt? It has around 1200 miles on it, but it still sits about 1mm above the sec sheaves. I do have a bender silencer on it, and I've heard some guys say they can lower the rpms some. Is this true? Any thoughts? Please? :o|

Sleddy I'm not following you on this one. I thought if I added tip weight( it's empty right now) that would bring down my rpms even more. I'm gonna go get a new belt tomorrow anyway.

LMAO...sorry I wasnt thinking clearly...try the new belt also you may want to change to a different primary spring to get the RPMs back...wow must be working to much lately...LOL

Thanks dude. I'll post back after I get the new belt on. Looks like it's going to get warm here this week. Not sure when I'll be able to test again. Ya know, something else, it's kinda warm today. Around 35*, that's probably not helping.

I'd also check your buttons on the secondary and look for smooth shifting or belt burning on the sheaves. If you pull the secondary spring out, and put it back together, you can then see how the sheaves move. Should not be much play at all.

What belt are you running?

vmj

I'm running the 8dn belt, but it does have around 1400 or 1500 miles on it. I checked the buttons, there are some slight wear spots on them. I'm not sure how much wear is too much. There are slight flat pots on them. Is that ok or not? I just read Turk said something about the weather effecting rpm's also. At the TY ride in Houghton it ran 8400-8500 all day long with the same setup, except I had a red sec. spring in it.

weather can change things...but usually you will get some over rev with the track spin in the loose snow and the rpms will drop with traction.

if anything the green spring should bring your rpms up. Mine only pulls 8200rpm on ~30*f day, once the temps get down around 10-15*f (where I like to ride) its back to 8400rpm again.

could it be a carb issue?

Here is something I have never noticed before. Last night I had it on a stand, and if I would peg the throttle from idle, it would fall flat like it was gonna kill, but then the rpm's would go up quickly like it should. Maybe this is effecting the 5000 rpm boggy feeling.
Tonight I put on a new belt, and put the green spring back to 70* and rode it. The rpm's were better at around 8400 but I know I was spinning some. I could hold it for about 100 yards before I had to slam in the brake. It did hold 8400 all the way. But it is still flat if I get out of the gas and then back on it.
I cleaned the carbs this fall myself. But I only cleaned the jets and passages. I don't know how to set the floats or anything like that. I'm a self tought carb cleaner, maybe I screwed something up inside? Or they need to be adjusted correctly. I'm thinking i should take it the the dealer and have them gone over. I would like to be able to run the secondary at 80* if I can get it to work. It seemed like the other day that 80* did make it more peppy at 5000-6000 rpm's

Back