Good choice?

meat12

Ok guys, I did some reading via search first, I just want to throw that out there. I just would like to be reassured.
Ok here is what I have found. 78 Exciter440 3500miles. The guy said its not in great shape, but pretty good shape for the age. He is asking $650.00, was gonna offer him 4 bills. Its a two hour ride so if I go I will more than likely take it anyway, but...are there things about this sled I should know. Anything to look for specific to these sleds? Any info or specs and advice you guys could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Meat

In my experience when ever a seller rates a sled on a scale from 1 to 10 after driving 2 plus hours I always find my opinion to be half that number or condition. Speak directly via phone and you can get a good idea if someone is shady or on the up & up !

Vmax you are correct.
Many times people are full of BS when they describe the condition of the sled. I have been to that mountain before. I have seen pretty good pics of this thing and have talked to him directly. My real concerns were if this was a good reliable sled/year of sled, any issues with this model, etc. I guess anything particular to this sled that has been a problem in the past.

Meat

I have a 77 Exciter I have had for almost 20 years and I had one identical before that too. I really can't say anything bad about these sleds and in their day were IMO the best combination performance/trail riding sled you could buy. All aluminum frame makes them light too and setup right will beat most newer fan 440's in a 660' drag race. The dry weight is 382 pounds and 48 hp at 7200 rpms. They are good for 85 mph plus. I remember the day passing a 440 Moto Ski Nuvik running on a hard packed trail and me passing him in deep powder lol. Grass racing in later years was fun too against sleds 15 years newer. It will soon be gone though....sold it and the buyer is picking it up next weekend :-(.
My age and 4 inches of suspension travel don't mix trying to keep up to the newer sleds.

Last edited:
hard to find parts in good condition: bellypan, front bumper, metal parts in the seat, handlebar pads, cooling fans, maby some other stuff. check or better yet just replace the front axle bearing that is behind the speedometer housing. bullet proof sled, mine takes a beeting and asks for more.... ;)!

Back