Larger diameter clutch?

Reimond

Hi,

If i deside use larger diameter clutch (micro belmont or others). Do i generally need to decreace crank-jackshaft distance?

Well yes, but i'm looking general measurements excample if i use 8,5" clutch --> What will be the difference?

You would need a longer belt. My thoughts on a 8.5 diameter clutch is that it won't change much as the clutch angle will not let you squeeze the belt all the way to the top anyways.

If you put on a longer belt and don't move the engine it will be to loose off the line and skunk your low end.

If you move the engine to compensate for the longer belt you will be right back where you started with the original belt.

When going to a larger primary you should have a secondary to match. A larger primary has more distance for the belt to move out and if your secondary doesn't have the ability to allow the belt to move in the same amount you could end up with the belt bottomed in the secondary before it reaches the top of the primary. This could cause belt bind/stretch at high speed which will rob HP and could really skunk you there.

It ain't always as simple as bolting on a bigger clutch and go. The clutches need to be able to wourk with each other and do so without stressing the belt. If not you can have many problems that will have you wanting your old clutch back.

opsled

Back