Sharing H/C Set Up

00SRXWHERRY

-Final set up under setup 7 finially 2-22-2012

Ok, first off I have to say thank you to all on this web site. Because of the overwhealming amount of info on clutching I have been able to start W/ a close set-up and fine tune. Thanky you MrViper700 I used your set up in the finial stages and it was almost perfect. So far this is my tunning and stages over the winter.

Rider weight 220lbs
1"hacksaw W/ 144 goddiggers
Mainly stock W/ slight mods.
All top speeds are W/ gps.

*Initial set up from previous owner
Primary
15.6 rollers
Red h/c spring
Heel weight 5.5
Middle weight 4.9
outter weight 3.4

Secondary
Bender 47/43 helix
Yamaha white spring wraped at 25lbs

Engaugement 4500RPM
Top RPM 7900
Top speed 100mph
This upshifted and slamed in the tight stuff spun the track alot it pedered out on top end.
Conditions 15deg light hard pack
clutches both slightly warm to touch

*Setup 1
Primary
15.6 rollers
Red H/C spring
Heel weight 6.2
Middle weight 3.3
Outter weight 5

Secondary
47/43 Bender helix
White yamaha spring wraped at 20lbs

Engaugement 4300 RPM
Top RPM 8000-8100
Top speed 100MPH
Was alot smoother and only spun right off the line
Conditions 28 deg. hard pac W/ 1" of fluff on top
clutches slightly warmer than before but good
Markings on clutches show belt is droping down in seconday and riding up top on primary so I'm getting full shift out now.

*Setup 2
Primary
15.6 Rollers
Red H/C
Heel weight 6.4
Middle 3.3
Outter weight 5

Secondary
47/43 Bender helix

Engaugment 4000RPM
Top RPM 8000-8100
Top speed 100MPH
Was alot smoother and only spun right off the line
Conditions 28 deg. hard pac W/ 1" of fluff on top
clutches slightly warmer than before but good
Markings on clutches show belt is droping down in seconday and riding up top on primary so I'm getting full shift out now.

*Setup Three
Primary
15.6 rollers
H/C red spring
Heel 6.4
Middle 0
Tip 5

Secondary
47/43 Bender helix

Engaugement 4000rpm
Top Rpm 8000
Top Speed 90mph
Was milder in the middle at 40-60mph but still slammed in the tight stuff
Still spinning right off the line
Conditions were terrible 45 deg heavy snow on trails, the lakes had 12in of snow and 3in of water between the snow and ice this definiatly effected the top speed.
Still getting full shift out but need to take some tip weight out.
Clutches just slightly warm but equil.

Setup 4
Primary
15.6 rollers
H/C red spring
Heel 6.4
Middle 0
Tip 5

Secondary
50/36 Bender helix
Green Yamaha spring wraped at 70 deg.

Engaugement 4500rpm
Top Rpm 8000
Top Speed 108mph
My engaugement went up (kinda weird) and my top speed also was up. Still spinning off the line. Wheather conditions were ideal. The lake had glare ice W/ 1/2in of snow on top low 30's. The middle from 40-60 got alot stronger.
The clutches were the coolest in this set up so far and equil.

Set Up 5
Primary
15.6 rollers
H/C red spring
Heel 6.8
Middle 0
Tip 4.3

Secondary
50/36 Bender helix
Green Yamaha spring wraped at 70 deg.

Engaugement 4100rpm
Top Rpm 8500-8100
Top Speed 111mph
Got the engaugement down and got the rpms up on the top end. Did notice that the rps start off at 8500 but then settle down to 8100. Still spinning off the line. Wheather conditions were ideal. The lake had glare ice W/ 1/2in of snow on top, low 30's. The middle from 40-60 got alot stronger.
The clutches were the coolest just as above.

Set Up 6

Primary
15.6 rollers
H/C red spring
Heel 6.8
Middle 0
Tip 4.3

Secondary
50/36 Bender helix
Green Yamaha spring wraped at 80 deg.

Engaugement 4100rpm
Top Rpm 8500-8100
Top Speed ?

Ok I did notice the last problem I had W/ the last setup is gone. That was W/ the rpms going up to 8500 then settling in at 8100 on the top end. I only had the chance to do 2 runs on the lake. It was glare ice and 30 deg. The first run got up to 8500 rpm and stuck I ran out of room and wasen't doing speed runs this time. The second run it went up to 8100 and stuck at 8100. I did have the temp light flashing on the second run at wot so I may have a new issue that may be related to somethine else. I rode all day and didnt have any issues w/ the temp light the only time it has issues is at wot on long runs. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Set Up 7

Primary
15.6 rollers
H/C red spring
Heel 6.8
Middle 0
Tip 4.1

Secondary
50/36 Bender helix

Engaugement 4100rpm
Top Rpm 8500
Top Speed 113 and climing (ran out of room)

Ok, Got the finial dial up in. First solved the temp light issue my powervalves were to tight. Conditions were 35 deg. icy w/ light powder on top. It pulled hard lifted the skies got to 8500 rpm and held. Clutches were = in temp and just warm. Only change was in tip weight to 4.1 to get my rpm up. I got to 113 on gps and it was still climbing but i was running out of room. So I'm finially there yea.

Last edited:

do you have any power valve pull thrus? you should have no issues pulling a 50/36 bender and that weight setup. should hold 8500 the whole time.

my HC setup is for drags on snow and has worked good for me @190lbs dressed

Red Primary
Heel 6 grams
Mid 0
Tip 8 grams

Engagement 4200
Launch 8100
WOT 8500 and holding
Silver @ 50
50/38 Dalton
21/40 gears

I have 1.75 Back country track on right now which the holeshot is wicked but loose some steam on the topend, but I will be changing too my 1/2 lug 168 Chiseled track for Ice drags will let you know how this works ;)!

Last edited:
00SRXWHERRY

wrap that green to 80, and i belt your top end rpm's stay consistent. With a steeper initial helix, the cut is still aggressive throughout the whole way. secondary is trying to open faster and upshift too fast, causing RPM to go down on top end even though it shows 8500 to start.

I know, I had the same problem tuning mine. I wrapped it up 10 more degrees to 80, and it runs flawless now. try that, and if it still falls off, remove tip weight slowly.

also, what happens if you add some weight to the middle with your current set-up? will it pull anything there? if the green wrapper 1 tighter doesn't work, i'd take 1 gram off the tip, and move it to the middle hole and go from there

Thanks for the responses guys.

-Everthing on this sled has been rebuilt and only has 400 miles on the new sled. No powervalve pull threw. I do need to re check adjustment though as all 3 cables were new when I put them on and they may have stretched out a bit.

-Spinner018 I agree W/ you on the secondary. I'm probbly going to have to take it up to a 80deg wrap and probbly take a litttle weight out of the tip. All I can do is change and retest.

I love this setup and it works perfect for me and my riding style. I'm able to walk away from the father-in-laws 97 SX 700 Red Head. So I know this is working.

00SRXWHERRY said:
Thanks for the responses guys.

-Everthing on this sled has been rebuilt and only has 400 miles on the new sled. No powervalve pull threw. I do need to re check adjustment though as all 3 cables were new when I put them on and they may have stretched out a bit.

-Spinner018 I agree W/ you on the secondary. I'm probbly going to have to take it up to a 80deg wrap and probbly take a litttle weight out of the tip. All I can do is change and retest.

I love this setup and it works perfect for me and my riding style. I'm able to walk away from the father-in-laws 97 SX 700 Red Head. So I know this is working.

You should be able to walk away from that red head sx700 w/stock clutching..

By walking away I mean right off the line I'm 3/4 sled length and by the time we both let off we are 4-5 sled lengths apart. Also he weighs about 50lbs less than I.

All right I'm back this year W/ some Testing and additional set up results. There are a few new issues. I went threw the sled cleaned the carbs, PV, and found my powervalve adjustment was way off, if I did it correct. I started a topic on the powervale adjustment earlier. But here is the new setup W/ an 80 wrap that I talked about doing last year.

Set Up 6

Primary
15.6 rollers
H/C red spring
Heel 6.8
Middle 0
Tip 4.3

Secondary
50/36 Bender helix

Engaugement 4100rpm
Top Rpm 8500-8100
Top Speed ?

Ok I did notice the last problem I had W/ the last setup is gone. That was W/ the rpms going up to 8500 then settling in at 8100 on the top end. I only had the chance to do 2 runs on the lake. It was glare ice and 30 deg. The first run got up to 8500 rpm and stuck I ran out of room and wasen't doing speed runs this time. The second run it went up to 8100 and stuck at 8100. I did have the temp light flashing on the second run at wot so I may have a new issue that may be related to somethine else. I rode all day and didnt have any issues w/ the temp light the only time it has issues is at wot on long runs. Do you guys have any suggestions?

i wouldnt agree about too much tip weight right now, if the 1st pass was at 8500rpm then its good, then the 2nd pass at 8100rpm and the temp light on,, you must have a issue with powervalves or voltage to servo motor. I woiuld count the flash sequence and see whats wrong.

usually I would run about 6 grams in the tip with a 36 finish angle on a srx . you want it to go to about 8000-8100rpm out of the gate then climb slowly to about 8500rpm on topend, this would be a distance of at least 500/600ft where it gets to 8500rpm.

I agree W/ the powervalve issue and that I need to take weight out of the tip. I just got done adjusting and cleaning thye powervalves and there was a big difference in the adjustment in them from last year. So now when I get back up north I will be checking the light sequence if I have snow. Thanks all For the input

Back