Front Shock 00SRX

SRX7

Do you find the front shock ( rear skid )a little sloppy on its mounts?
Mine moves a little up and down.
Should the collar and bushing be change right away?
Also will it just slide out when the 2 bolts are removed or is there some resistance there?
Thanks
Andy

Will the shock just pop out guys or will it be tough.
It turns out I had bought some bushings for my old sx700 so I have the parts I just need to know the above.

now bushing will be loos also, shim the shock bushings so they are tight, or better is to install bearings, collars and seals like rear shock.

when i do a skid over for me or friends, i use bearings, seals, collars and plastic washers from the rear shock. you can buy them from yamaha or rob them from junk shocks. you need two upper collars for the correct width.

to install them you will need to take up some slack in the holes. I use a feeler guage slid in with the bearing till i find the correct size. usually around .005 . I use this full width so it will hold the seals in as well.

Install everything dry and clean but use locktite so the bearing wont slide side to side and to take up any tiny spaces.

while you are doing this remove your skid. remove your w arm. buy new bushings because if you have any miles on it they are wore out.
drill and tap the top of the lower w arm mounts for 1/4 28 long straight grease fittings.
next cut a coffee can into strips as wide as the mount. Start with a piece 1in wide and install it in the hole. then install the bushings. then the collars. if the collars wont fit in then remove everything, cut some off the coffee can strip and reinstall. do this untill the collars fit tight. do the same with the upper bushings in the w arm as well.

use this trick to tighten up your lower transfer rod mounts too. these need a 90% grease fitting in them so you will have access.

when the skid is upside down inspect the condition of the lower shock mount. if it is cracked remove and reweld. when installing these I run a grinder over the end of the shaft, clean the rail good, mix up some jbweld and spread a thin layer over the ends of the shaft. quickly bolt the mount in and tighten lightly. let dry. then remove bolts locktite and tighten the crap out of it. what this does is fills in any imperfections between the rail and mount so that it will fit tighter with no gaps. this part is what keeps your skid square and in parallel as well as taking the twisting load from the front shock. it is very important this part fit as tight as it can.

when reinstalling everything us locktite. also to stop your w arm from breaking use no preload on spring once your limiters are set to where you want them. the spring should end up with little or no preasure as the limiters start to bring up.

this takes some time but will make your skid last longer and work better.

good response,
I just want to take out the front shock while the skid is still in place,will it be easy? Will it just slide out?
Thanks

if you looseen your track tight off and your limiters it might be able to be done, but i wouls say it would be a easier job removing the skid and doing it, if they are just a little loose i would just leave them till you need to remove the skid, like track teplacment , slides , w arm, you will find something, or maybe its time to just go thgrough it

it can be remove with skid in. back off adjusters and sometimes lower transfer rod bolts. just unbolt it and take it out. you can almost remove and install the skid as fast as this takes to do.

Back